To all 16v Turbo owners

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Jimbob, Dec 1, 2003.

1. vwturbo Forum Member

So its Gripper ;) not Griper! :lol: no wonder i couldn't find it when i did a search [:s]

Stealthwagon,i wait for you to fit one ;) and then you can tell me if its any good! :lol:

2. stealthwagon Forum Member

will do vwturbo,its top of my list for'must haves'in 2004 :)

3. madmk4 Forum Member

the gripper diffs are very much competition units to be honest.

They make it f**king hard to steer. It took me and this other boke to push a gutted mini back a bit..

Plus the plates can need replacing and maintanance.

Vest to go for the quaife for road use IMO, most people seem to like it.

4. Jimbob Forum Member

What sorta power would bring in the need for an LSD?
    what components and costs will i be looking at for a 250bhp 2.0 16v? or even 200bhp?
    So if i get uprated con rods and offset bushes to sort the compression, the rest of the internals are good for 300bhp? What cams are you all running? thanks very much for all the info so far!
    Cheers, James

5. prof Forum Addict

jimbob 1.8t will be cheaper really

6. Jimbob Forum Member

i was after a 20vt but im sick of my 1.6 so i was gunna get a valver now, run it N/A until november when i can afford insurance on a turbo then turbo the gti, also, i'll be doing the work myself and I imagine a 16v will be much easier to fit and a lot cheaper to buy! After the research i did on the 1.8t, i found theres a lot of extra work that i wouldnt need to do if i stayed with an original golf engine!

7. prof Forum Addict

hmmmmm thats what i thought, really a 1.8t will be cheeper

8. Jimbob Forum Member

How come?
    Bent 16v gti - 200 = Engine/box, all wireing, bigger brakes/servo, arb's rear disc conversion

1.8t - 1000 at least, then everything envolved in fitting the pedal box, gearchange, management, loom........... not to mention fitting the engine!

id love a 20vt but theres just too much work envolved to fit it and i see it as much more expensive!

9. vwturbo Forum Member

A 16v turbo is much easier to install than a 1.8t,but what makes them much harder prospect nowadays is sourcing parts in the UK cheaply and thats 'if' you can find any in the first place!.

So the 1.8t engine will probably be alot less hassle cos you can pick one up anywhere for under a grand,but fitting one is another matter which i cant comment on [:s]

It would be much easier if you lived in the US cos theres load of places doing bolt on 16v turbo kits for silly money and most are easy to install and give good power figures what i've seen.

So if you are very lucky and find somebody selling a secondhand 16v turbo kit,go for it! and enjoy! ;)

10. prof Forum Addict

Ok i take your points but where can you get a cheap 16v turbo manifold? unless you make one, or chop up an s2 one

you also have to run 2 headgaskets, or rebush the rods[250] or run 8v pistons=more money

you then need a really decent ecu and loom, knock sensors etc

so when you add it all up getting a complete 20vt with management etc will be cheaper, unless you are dead lucky.

g60 ecu/loom= 150 ish, + 400+ for jabba to map it

I'm not being a cnut here, i just think you can't do a cheap and reliable 16v turbo unless you are a professional like 800gs

I started doing it with an ABF but the utter ease of finding 20vt turbo parts really got me going into that instead.

11. madmk4 Forum Member

Yup I'd agree with Prof to be honest.

But this isnt a thread aobut which is better and why, so do the 16v turbo.

Get a T25 built by turbo technics to the spec that they were originally for the conversions and get an S2 manifold on there.

We once ran 170 ATW @ 0.4 bar boost. USING ONE ADDITIONAL INJECTER :lol:;)

12. stealthwagon Forum Member

jimbob,
    you dont actually need uprated conrods standard are fine.the offset bushing is what is done to the small end of the rod in order to bring the compression down.its just a straight forward engineering process.
    standard cams are fine, its all a question of how far you want to go.look at the figures myself and vwturbo get,theres not many people that would'nt be happy with those figures from there valver regardless of its state of tune.

13. stealthwagon Forum Member

good point madmk4,
    the only issue about doing a16vt nowadays is the manifold but as pointed out in other posts theres ways round it.they are actually available in germany for not to much money.
    and to be honest 225bhp20vt lumps are not that easy to find,plenty of 150's but personally i would'nt bother unless it was the 225,i'd rather stick with the valver.
    personally i think jimbob will get more satisfaction from force inducting his valver than dropping a modern lump in his car.just my opinion.

14. pimp daddy New Member

i do

15. Jimbob Forum Member

pimp daddy, what have you done to your engine? bhp?
    Cheers

16. vwturbo Forum Member

Don't worry about the ecu for the 16vt,its a piece of p!ss to wire up :p and shouldn't cost more than 450.

I aint going to comment on that! :lol:

17. madmk4 Forum Member

hehe, im just winding ya up [:D] :lol:

18. vwturbo Forum Member

I guessed that! ;)