to but or not to buy, that is the q.

Discussion in 'Passat' started by jamez, Mar 27, 2007.

1. jamez Forum Member

i have chance to buy a 1991 vw passat variant with a 9a engine for 200 euro, with an apk (mot) but the catch is that the cambelt sheered a few teeth . i just happen to have a spare 9a head compleate in my garage, and was wondering what is the chance that there will be a hole in a piston? if there is not a hole then transplanting the head is no problem, and so to sell on the car.but if there is then its a lot more work to removed the engine and hence the potential profit will lessen.

any input as to whats the chance a piston is dead. the engine was at about 2200 rpm at the time. the car was been driven.

thanks.

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Valves normally bend but don't do much damage unless it's dropped a valve head - does it run at all?

3. jamez Forum Member

no, it was taken to a garage but the repair qoute was too high, hence the price

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Do you know if they had the head off at all? It could be a very nice deal, or a very bad deal!

5. jamez Forum Member

no, the engine was not touched. i think i'll just take a chance. if there is a hole in a piston i'll scrap the car for parts to recover the cash, and probally use the front end for a wide track conversion and the other engine parts for spares when i wreck the 9a in the mk1.