to claim or not to claim?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by monkeyzoo, Nov 22, 2009.

1. monkeyzoo Forum Member

I wrecked my car last week and need some thoughts on the best thing to do. The car is a certain write-off with heavy front end damage. Prior to this it was a fairly mint R reg metallic black mk3 16v but with 170k on the clock. If I continue with my claim how much can I expect to get and should I be able to keep the car?

For a decent pay-out I'd just let it go. For a fair or slightly under pay-out where I can keep the car I'd take the money and break the car.

If they're going to offer me a pittance and not let me keep the car I won't claim.

The problem I have is Direct line want to take the car away to inspect the aftermarket suspension fitted and to evaluate repair. Once gone if I don't claim they say I'll be liable for all the transport and inspection fees. An indication as to how much I could expect to get would help me decide.

Can I insist they evaluate at my home?

If written off do they have to let me keep my car?

If I can keep the car how does it affect the settlement figure (if at all)?

I can't get any clarification on anyhting from Direct line and I don't want it to go without knowing whether I'll get it back as it has quite a lot on it I'd like to keep.

All thoughts appreciated.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Sorry, I missed your call the other day, mate. Forgot about it... [:$] I guess this is what it was about...

Normally, an inspection could be done at your home, but since they are insisting on inspecting the suspension, then it`ll need to be up on a ramp, so it`ll have to go to a garage or whatever.

The fact they`ll charge you for that if you don`t claim, is a p*ss take IMO...

If they decide to write it off (which TBH they probably will given it`s age), then whatever you do don`t accept they`re first offer, since it`ll be pretty derisory.

Scan the classifieds for cars of similar age/condition to give an indication of it`s true worth, and present it to them as evidence. You`ll find they`ll more often than not then settle at that figure.

Depending on the class of write-off they give it (C or D), then you should have the option to buy it back as salvage for a couple of hundred quid. You can then use the payout money to fix it. Or just break it for parts.

If you do put it back on the road, then your insurance premium will of course be higher, and it`ll forever be marked as a write-off in it`s history, so it`s re-sale value will be significantly lower.

If it`s a Cat C, you`ll also have to have a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check) to prove it`s not a ringer once repaired). It`ll cost you 41 for a man to read the VIN-plate, and tick a form, before the DVLA will re-issue the V5.

Hope that helps! :thumbup:

3. monkeyzoo Forum Member

Cheers Stu. I actually called you whilst waiting for the recovery was wondering if you new of a friendly garage that would put her up for a few nights.

The front end is screwed with damage to the box sections that the wings bolt onto. It's not going to get repaired. Cancelled my claim today as I figured that even with evidence of other cars prices they would still give me bugger all on 171K. Then with my excess taken into account and the buy back costs it didn't seem like a good enough deal. I'm going to strip what I can off it and bin the rest. I'll either sell the parts or keep them for my new car - another metallic black 3 door 16v which I should hopefully have tomorrow.:thumbup:

Just need some new alloys now.