Toad problem?

Discussion in 'Security' started by MMC, Dec 27, 2006.

1. MMC

MMC New Member

Well, GTi ownership is proving an utter joy. Or at least, it was until last night. Stopped for petrol in Betws-y-Coed in N Wales and the car wouldn't start. It'd turn over just fine, but wouldn't fire.

After many, many tries I got recovered to a local garage near Bampton where I live - Grey Gables for anyone local. Top bunch of blokes.

They got it started, but by the time I'd got there it wouldn't go again. Fecked Toad immobiliser they tell me. They're planning on ripping the immobiliser out, but has anyone else had the problem?

Get in - little red light flashes as usual. No problems with the Toad fob, put it up against the steering column and the light stops flashing and stays solid red. Car turns over, but won't start.

Any suggestions (apart from the sort involving large mallets)?

Cheers

Mark

2. oak8vgti Forum Member

don't think its the immobilisor mate, try to start it with it still armed to see if its the same, the immobilsor should cut fuel and starter, if yours is turning over as u say id say it could be something else at fault

3. MMC

MMC New Member

Ah - OK. With the immo armed nothing happens, but with it disarmed with the little black key it'll turn the engine over but not fire. There's power at the coil, but the fuel pump and ICV aren't buzzing as usual...

The garage managed to 'cure' the problem temporarily by placing the Toad key right next to the received in the steering column, but that then stopped working after a while.

Very odd...

4. MR_TOAD_INSTALL Banned

mmm intersting
    get them to overide temp the 2 circuits and see how she goes i have done this many times and the fault is still there
    so it is down to car

get them to do this first and you can rule immobilise out

Ian

5. MMC

MMC New Member

Cheers - thanks Ian. I think the garage has pretty much decided to strip out the immobiliser... Which means I'll be needing another one! I'd better get in touch hadn't I! [:D]

6. oak8vgti Forum Member

only if you let them totally remove the immobiliser, tell them to take out the fuel and ign circuits only so it can be tested, if it cures it then get a new one but if it doesnt then you dont need to waste money on something that isnt broken

7. MMC

MMC New Member

Thanks Oak - I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and see what they're up to.