Toad siren & water problems

Discussion in 'Security' started by Mikey, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Mikey Forum Member

My Toad alarm started making funny noises this afternoon when I was flushing out the coolant in my Mk2.
    Noticed that the water that was overflowing from the expansion tank was dripping over the siren that's just below, mounted on the bulkhead.

I pulled the siren off it's bracket & opened it up. Inside there's a little circuit board & the backup battery. There was traces of water which I dried off, but I noticed that both sides of the outer casing are cracked, so I think a new one needs to be ordered.

Trouble is that the wires entering the siren are soldered to the circuit board so can they be disconnected at the 'brains' of the alarm inside the car, and could I do this myself, or will I need to contact my alarm dealer & get them to do it?
    I've dried it best I could in situ, & zip tied some plastic sheet over the outside, which should help it temporarily.

The alarms a cat 1 Toad A221 (the latest equivalent is the Ai606 I think)

2. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

You already have an immobiliser fitted to you mk2 then??

If you get a new siren won't it already have the cable on it? then you just run the cable to the main box and plug it in.

3. Mikey Forum Member

Yes I've already got a Toad powerkey immobiliser.
    I was presuming that a new siren would come with the cable,but just wanted to make sure.

Do Toad alarms normally have a lifetime guarantee (or is it just for the original purchaser?)

This morning the alarm wouldn't make a noise at all when I unlocked or armed the car. When I set it off only the hazzards would flash too so I think the sirens given up.

Anyone else know if a new siren would be an alarm dealer only fit, or is it plug & play? How much do they cost?
    Cheers