Top Gear mk2 GTI buying guide

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by GVK, Jul 30, 2013.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

6m22s Up to 4 years for an OEM exhaust? My ernst bits (excluding the backbox cause it's stainless) must be around 14 years old now [:D]

3. DuBAndy Forum Member

Awesome! Not seen this before! :thumbup:

4. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

The old TopGear buyers guides are quite interesting to watch now.

There is a good couple of clips on youtube from 5th Gear where they stick a mk2 16v round a track then let the boys at TRS work on it and then stick it back out on the track. Cant get onto youtube just now to find it. But worth a look if you have not seen it before.

5. Finite

Funny how things stick in your head Just looked through my old receipts, June 99 for the exhaust and thinking back it was probably remembering that advice section years before I had the car or needed one that prompted me to get the Ernst.

They're too busy spouting ***** and acting like baffoons in the name of 'entertainment' on Topgear now.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

[video=youtube;WFy0OsabdY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFy0OsabdY0[/video]

[video=youtube;TGEfNOdAHHI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGEfNOdAHHI[/video]

7. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Ah yes Mr GVK thanks for the 2 links, these were the ones. :thumbup:

And the typo [:$]

8. Finite

Cheers for posting those this has come up on the suggestions.

[video=youtube;yRR3MGHbMA4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRR3MGHbMA4[/video]

I've never seen it before it has some great info on the rear wishbone bushes, rear beam, rain gutter removal and refitting. The most surprising to me is that the stock rear beam bushes were designed to counter passive steer and holy hell does the beam get twisted on that test rig. I might put up the times of the best bits later.

9. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I have just had a quick scan of that clip, how cool is that. Going to save that to watch tonight.

Totally agree shocked at the rear beam twisting, that is mental. would like to know how much force was applied to it. [eek]