Top mounts / Bilstein strut / Installation

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by MJA, Feb 12, 2022.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I took my car (the Corrado - same as 5x100 mk3 golf) to mk2 spares yesterday but on the way home I noticed a faint clonk on pulling away and actually my alignment/steering does not feel great either. The car is booked into Stealth end of the month for new top mounts, brakes, alignment and to change the rad as I just don't have the time with 2 other project cars running.

Anyway, I jacked up the car to inspect what was going on. The drivers side strut has a bit of movement when I shake the wheel. The other doesn't do this.

I have had the driver side strut out when I did a bit of welding and just wondering if I put it back in wrong - I did the following

-installed the the top mount rubber (it's done about 4000 miles). Bearing was convexed side into the rubber
    -tightend down the first nut to secure the top mount
    -installed in the car with the bit that goes above the turret and tightened the nut down to torque and final torque checking down when car was back on the ground.

I re-did this procedure this morning but an wondering if I did somehting / missed a washer or something (there are none I am aware of).

This is the front shock but the way.

Cheers
    Matt

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Screenshot_20220212-142656_Chrome.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  3. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Cressa, it does. I think the top mount is just stuffed. When I took the strut out I only removed the top hat and bolt so on re-install should really have been just tighten top nut to torque spec. I've done a few ugga duggas as well so new top mounts - shame they only lasted such a short amount of time. Feb Bilstein they were, gone for Lemforder replacements.