Towing Dolly

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by rocco2litre, May 11, 2009.

1. paul_c Forum Member

Good idea - probably more for the OP to follow up though. The previous link to another thread you posted really only offers more opinion, rather than any clarity. In the same vein, this is the opinion of the author of "The Trailer Manual" (Haynes), which reads quite clear. However we must bear in mind the author, Brian Bate, is a technical consultant to the trailer industry (turkeys voting for xmas?) so he's naturally going to support people buying trailers etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the last paragraph re: no test case. It would still be handy to see the letter of the regulations, though.

2. paul_c Forum Member

3. paul_c Forum Member

4. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

i have used mine over 20 times, been passed coppers not one has even
    bothered.
    I normally sit behind a lorry ......for discipline at under 60mph.
    surely 40 on a motorway would be more dangerous.
    mate of mine used to tow with a dolly at 80/90 but he is mad...also had a mini "jump" off as his dolly was non turning type, if you go round a bend the car is trying to pull it self off.

5. paul_c Forum Member

There's definitely a reluctance for the police to proactively seek to take action against them, probably because there is this grey area in the law and there's more efficient, better things to be worrying about. After all, people who tow generally do go slower and are naturally more cautious, so in fact the risk of an accident is less. I think its more VOSAs area than the police since it surrounds C&U etc. I did a lot of reading around yesterday and they do look at things and take action if you're involved in an accident (eg you might be the innocent victim of another's error). Also there is the massive question mark over whether you're insured if there is a lack of clarity on the legality of what you're doing - worth bearing in mind?

If you're using with such frequency, have you considered a car trailer, or a spec lift?

6. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

looking at trailers, but they are expensive 2nd hand.
    may just hire a trailer in my town at 35 per day

7. Admin Guest

how do those large motor homes get away with using them to tow a car behind them?