Track car decisions??????

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Lofty, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Lofty Forum Member

I'm looking at the best way getting a car suitable for track day use but can't decide the best option, obviously my current Mk3 8v GTi is not suitable but i need a very dependable car for big mileage work commitments. Therefore as i see it i have a few options -

Buy a car suitable for both - e.g Clio Cup but this means depreciation, and relaibility problems, higher work related runnings costs (no more DIY servicing)

Buy a 2nd road legal car for track use - e.g mk2 16v, but it has alot of unit costs such as tax, test and insurance.

Buy a track car & trailer - major problems with storage

I even toyed with the idea of a Mk3 GTi 16v for everything but i'm not convinved of its track ability

Anyone suggest alternatives on the above which could be more feasable? I know plenty of your guys run 2nd and even 3rd cars so there must be an economical way of doing it??

Any help much appreciated

2. Carl S Forum Member

I'm afraid there is no simple answer to this. If you have somewhere to keep the car and the trailor then you can cut the cost of tax, mot & insurance out, and you have the advantage of being able to lighten the car further by getting rid of lights etc. etc. However watch out as some companies used to insist that cars at track days hold valid MOT's so you may want to check to see if this is still the case...
    Something like a Scoobie (as much as it pains me to say) may be your answer. They're reliable and comfortable on the motorway, and you can get a cheap second set of wheels & tyres to loon it round the track on so you don't damage your road tyres.
    A half decent track Mk1 or Mk2 will cost you minimum 2k and more like 4k+ by the time you've added all the "nice to haves" onto it. Don't be fooled by adding up how much the major components cost for the conversion because there's allways a whole heap of hidden "little" costs you can't forsee, add to this the fact that normal components wear out 2-3 times quicker than on the road when on the track...
    Of course a mildly tuned VR6 in good condition with suspension stiffened up to a nice compromise between track and road could be an alternative to the Scoobie...

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Lofty, my best advice would be if you haven't done one already, do a track day in your own car - you don't have to go mad, go and see if you enjoy it before worrying about another car for the job

You hear of people building a track day car before even going to one and knowing what it's all about and what mods their car will need....

If you've already done one, just ignore me, I'll shut up eventually. :lol:

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

As GVK says.

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Hows this for a Mk3 track road car?

From the ring trip last year:

[​IMG]

6. Edition96 Forum Member

That car was causing Mr Clarkson some hastle on his trip to the ring in the Jag diesel :lol:

7. GVK

More pics on my site of the white mk3 :)

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

if you did go for the a mkIII for both i reckon vr6...the engine should be good enough as standard for trackdays, so you can spend money on suspension, brakes and gearbox mods instead (if you got a 16v you'd have to do all that and mod the engine...perhaps)

EDIT - scratch that, keep the mkIII for everyday driving and get a mkI toyota MR2 for track days use...throw on coilovers, uprated brakes, and a cage and i reckon thats the cheapest fun you can have. FWD is cr*p.
    Edited by: acf8181

9. iguana Forum Member

A tough choice & no right or wrong answer to it really- just what is best for you.

Somat like the track-sence track car club might be a solution- big choice of various track cars to use & no storage or maintenace cost to be paid by you.

Ref Mk316v as track/road car compramise- yeah not bad at all, I had one, tweeks & pumping 170bhp & proper suspension it was an ace everyday car- not quite as agile or old school fun as a tweeked Mk2 16v tho, which will do the job equally as well- but be swifter with the same power as its lighter & is more fun for hooning too. While a track prepped mk1 with that power- swiftomatic indeed :p

Ref costs- well if youve got another car its posible to get around the insurance thing- you do have to tread carefully but its posible, & then its just road tax/MOT/running costs to consider.

However cheapest is surely rent a lock up garage, buy a cheap trailer, car wont need *MOT etc & bosh bosh job done- lots of money saved that you can spend on going faster & stopping/handling better & car can be properly track prepped in ways that would make it a very un flexable road car, plus you can always easily get you money back on a car trailer as they are always sought after, (*Ive never needed an MOT for a track day but I know some people have had to show 'em)

Indeed obiously tho you should realise that FWD track cars are for gaylords who can't drive & given a reasonable budget you should be looking for somat frisky & RWD tho ;)

Higher powered Caterham 'esk' cars really do it for me personally & used are available for similar price to a new clio cup. Cheaper budget RWD= E30 325i- drift tastic[:D]
    Edited by: iguana

10. Jommanjo Forum Member

I have the same dilemma in reverse - typical...

My mk2 16v is track only - perspex windows mean no rear wiper, no stereo, fixed buckets, so road use is limited to travelling to the track!! Going to the 'ring is epic [8(]
    So I would like to get a car that does both, so I can enjoy the cash invested on the road too.

If you get a 16v, just lighten the car as much as possible, get treaded slicks ie A048r, then spend the engine cash on track tuition - you'll be v.surprised what you'll be chasing around [:D]
    (no noise problems either).

I'm looking at Corrado VR6 or Scooby, or further upmarket....

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Sod the cut slicks - get full race slicks! [:D]

12. Jommanjo Forum Member

Yeah, agree!!! C.coombe - my local, doesn't allow them on action days. [:^(]
    Tubs, you seen that vid from a caterham of Reeve's mk2 at brands indy on slicks? Says it all really!!

13. Golden Forum Junkie

Good advice from our Gary.

Track days are a bit like sex, it's not about out and out performance, it's about enjoying yourself and getting the most from the equipment you've got.

14. DarrenH Forum Member

but just dont get in garys way.

15. GVK

:lol::lol: You fecker Darren [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I use slicks - so know just how good they are ;)