Track car / stripped dash dials

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by harrymonk, Jul 24, 2009.

1. harrymonk New Member

What do people use when they have stripped out there pride and joy, obviously not everyone has Stack money so was wondering what other people use and if you have any pics of your set up that would be good for some inspiration.

Looked at cyberdyne and universal ones for kit cars etc, but some have dubious speed sensors (bike style) any recomendations of sensibly priced ways to replace the dash would be most appriciated.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

What make & model are you asking about or is it just a general question?.....

This was mine before (had much more work done since these):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. steved Forum Member

The MK3

[​IMG]

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Mike's VR6 racer:
    [​IMG]

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

steve r:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Swerves dash (made by my dad ;) )

Now has 3 gauges added above the switch panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  7. mk28vICED Forum Member

thats pukka steve r :thumbup:
    just 22mm copper? pipe with holes for the dash to demist, love that.

8. harrymonk New Member

Loving the work. Some interesting ideas there.

Mines a Mk2 Golf but as most of the time the dash gets stripped out i just wanted some ideas. See a lot utilise the original dials.

Cheers Guys

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

MOT requirements are pretty important if it's on the road...

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

can't remember who it was on here but i think they got away without a dash & only having one like steve's dads by having an extra pod with all the warning lights on it.

11. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

for mot- not sure there is a requirement for anything- i did not have anything in for mine- my odo reading just says n/a-

i do now- i use motor bike digi clock with wheel speed sensor and magnet! took no time to wire up. the only prob i have now is getting a fuel gauge- at the moment i'm just measuring the resistance on the violet wire (then forgetting what the reading means and filling up out of paranoia :-))

does anyone know of a fuel gauge that is compatible with the vw in tank sensor (1987 mk2 16v)

12. James_mk2 Forum Member

Taks where did you attach the magnet for the speedo? I have a digi-dash designed for a moto-X bike/quad which has this set up.

13. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

very good question- i g-bonded the magnet to the inner cv cup on the long drive shaft. would have been easier to put it on around the wheel but with swapping wheels around would have meant i would have had to put a magnet on every wheel!!

14. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

james, what are you going to use for a fuel gauge?

15. James_mk2 Forum Member

That's a good idea, hope you don't mind if i steal that one :lol:
    I was considering attaching it to the back of the hub and putting the sensor through the ABS sensor hole (i have G60 hubs) but clearance was very tight!

I've got a spare set of clocks that i took apart out of curiousity so i was going to take the fuel gauge section from them and mount it on the dash-blank that i'm making, this is the master plan, presented through the medium of paint :lol:
    [​IMG]

16. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Vapor!!! that what i'm using- have you got the rpm to work proper yet? mine just jumps all over the place and stops reading no matter what i do with the pulse settings- where are you taking your feed for this?

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/parts/volkswagen/passat/fuel_gauge.html

sorted the fuel gauge prob as well- the ohms reading is what i was finding when testing in the car as well- going to contact rally des to see if they have anything that works with the 33-250 ohms, but before i do i will full tank it to see how low it goes

17. James_mk2 Forum Member

I unplugged the clocks wiring loom and just poked the rpm signal wire into the plug to check and it worked fine, i had to change the pulses per minute setting or something like that, to 0.5 i think but this was quite a long time ago now just when i was testing it.

When i had a digital readout rev counter before i took it from the coil and it jumped all over the place so i think the standard rev counter feed may have some kind of filter/resistance to stop this?

18. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

oh wow! i hope i haven't butchered th dash wire!!! i went flippin crazy with wire removal!! :lol: i'm going to go home tonight and double check- how did you get on fitting the water sensor that came with the kit?

19. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Jame's would be very kind if you could try and extract your setting's for us, just go into setting mode and keep flicking through and noting them down :-)

20. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

LOL.....dude we chopped some of those wires well short!! We should be able to pull back the protecting sleeve and hopefully expose just enough to be able to solder an extension to it.

Any ideas which colour wire we will be looking for??