Track/Street cheap suspension setup. Which one?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by HidRo, Apr 19, 2016.

1. HidRo Forum Member

Hi guys,

I have a mk2 GTI 16V with a 1.8t with 380hp+/- in it. All stock arb's.
    I hit the track last week, and the car (which already seemed kind of not so good) showed that it's not good :)

I have prothane bushings, new Vogtland springs (4cm), Bilstein B4 (original replacement) shocks and new strut mounts.
    I feel the car is just not tight, and wobbles to much.

Even when going on a straight, the car will not go in a direct line. It's just mad to keep straight let's say.
    Nankang NS2R tires, 120 compund, which are good, but still if feels the car just goes out too much. Cornering is not sharp, etc.

When I accelerate, it will send the front of the car sky high.
    You can see this on this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JtlcSZnNTE&feature=youtu.be&t=65

So, the video clips from the trackday:
    Trackday Estoril Experience 09 Abril 2016 Session 1 - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAK69O_1Jiw&feature=youtu.be

Trackday Estoril Experience 09 Abril 2016 Session 2 (rain) - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK_GbmyyjMw&feature=youtu.be

Trackday Estoril Experience 09 Abril 2016 Session 3 - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTo8Pmf7mtU&feature=youtu.be

What I want to know is what setup I can use, to have a good feel when driving, good track setup (although I just go to the track every once in a while).
    I don't mind if it will not be comfortable.

Cheap side is the best, as this is just my toy car, so spending tons of money is not really an option.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not cheap but a good start before getting into the ASTs and KWs of this world be BC racing.
    Several of us on this forum run them.

3. HidRo Forum Member

That AST stuff is like Ohlins? Mega expensive?
    KW's, the V1 are a good bet? Or just from V2 and up?
    Do you have links for what we can get for a mk2, or is this something custom made, etc?
    I cannot find spring rates anywhere for coilovers or suspension kits.
    I was told the AP coilovers are ok. Any input on those?

4. Joe16v Forum Member

Have you made any changes to alignment and track width etc? Better suspension will help but needs to be complimented properly with the rest of the stuff.

5. HidRo Forum Member

Camber was set to -1, the rest is pretty much stock (or what the tire shops usually do).
    After reading a lot, I believe I had too much air in the tires, as for track, you should go in with 22/26 in the fronts, as they will "boost the pressure" with the driving. So, I was there with 30psi+ front and back, and if it goes up...

6. HidRo Forum Member

Track pics.
    You can see the rear tucks in, front raises.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. HidRo Forum Member

Videos now good to watch... :)

8. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

A decent set of coilovers will defiantly help. I'd personally leave the ARB's standard.

If all the standard stuff seems in good condition i.e track rod ends, lower ball joints, etc then I would get it tracked up - mainly for toe, you could add a touch more camber. But I've found I get a much sharper turn in with slight toe out at the front say 0.2 degrees.

Another thing to note which a lot of people dismiss is the rake angle of your car (obviously you can only adjust this with coilovers) But as a basic rule of thumb the rear should be 10mm higher than the front, any less and you'll induce understeer.

I'm running KW V3's and they are fantastic! being able to fine tune the front and rear dampening and rebound is a great benefit. I've fine tuned mine for road (out the box setting so nice and comfy) & a setting for Wet and Dry weather on track.
    I spoke to KW for some time before I bought mine, I used to run Weitecs which were effectively V1's, they were great on the road but would have been far too soft for track. V2's have dampening adjustment but I'd stay clear of these, save up bit more and go V3's. They have the benefit of a valve in each shock as well as rebound adjustment. The valve opens when cornering hard to firm up that corner, very clever stuff and you can really feel it working through the wheel.

I have some videos of mine on track I can post up if needed :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. HidRo Forum Member

Post them up!! :)

KW's V3 will be way over what I "want" to spend, I believe. This is just a track/toy, so spending a lot of money is not something I'm aiming for. Other expenses, other priorities :)
    I've been checking the JOM NJT, which are dampening adjustable, not sure if they are top notch or not. They would be kind of cheap (300) for me. But even if they are dampening adjustable, the springs could be soft, right?

10. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Here are a couple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4c9sgkbmw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu7Rg8gxONo

The Jom's for the money you probably wont go wrong with. Any coilover upgrade would be a benefit, even more so if they are dampening adjustment.

11. HidRo Forum Member

Car seems to hold quite nicely, but more on the first video? Any changes in between both videos?
    I would love to go to Nurburgring. But it's quite far from me :)

12. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Yeah the first video the car has been stiffened slightly, also a different cam, and the second was at the 'Ring on my first time on any racetrack haha it was also a tourist day so I was trying to leave room for error! :)

Also the second video is a helmet cam the first is mounted to the seat :)

13. HidRo Forum Member

Yeah, it does seem to be stiffened up a bit. I'll see when I'll get the new suspension, and see how it goes from there [:D]

14. HidRo Forum Member