track tyre sidewall punctures (pics)

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Mikey C, May 31, 2009.

1. Mikey C Forum Member

i popped two tyres today during a sprint. on the outside of one right hand bend there is a bit of a ditch by the track where cars have run wide and dug a hole in the gravel.

Ran wide on this corner and split two new proxes T1R's that have done less then 150miles [:^(] front and rear on the left hand side.

this has never happened before (and i have run wide here before) could it be because i am running 50 profliles now (45's before) is it that proxes are sh*t for this or what? I was running 24psi rear and28psi front.

Just wondering if it is the best idea to go out and buy another two of these in this size now, or am i going to just turn them into scrap after a few miles.... [xx(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    both tyres have a rim split, then an accompanying hole half way up the sidewall, one leaks out of the split and the other bulges and leaks from the sidewall.

mike

2. Admin Guest

They are both screwed, you can't repair them thats for sure.

They are however, awful as a track tyre as they are a dedicated road tyre. Proper track tyres do have a stiffer and stronger sidewall but not sure how much stronger if you put enough pressure in the T1-Rs to pop both.

3. Admin Guest

I'm going to retract that statement. They are not awful, they just arent 'as good' as a proper R rated tyre.

4. Mikey C Forum Member

They aint track tyres i know, but its my only car at the mo so they need to be road tyres, and after having so much fun at the ring last year (22laps 10+ very wet) despite the rain they have to handle water too. These are mega cheap too!

by "r-rated" do you mean R888's and the like? for the above reasons, can't use these

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

may be way way off here,is a very long shot and probably just coincidence but had to say this,i noticed where both your side wall punctures are you have wheel damage

6. mk28vICED Forum Member

not sure what to make of this is looks like you hit something to rupture them but the second pic the tyre bulges like a perished tyre? even though they've only done few hundred miles.

7. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

neil kaye has it spot on, this type of puncture is known as a snakebite to mountainbikers and is caused when the rim pinches the sidewall of the tyre, and is usually caused by the tyre pressure being too low or a hard/sharp concentrated in one area.and as you state 28and 24psi your not far of factory specs, so its fair to say that that is purely impact damage, the only way round this is much thicker sidewalls or an alternative rim profile that is as rounded as possible to spread these type of impacts.

from the pics it looks as though you were just unlucky and there is no problem with the rubber what so ever.

8. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Why are you running such low pressures on the car? Even if you've got lower profile tyres on bigger rims, you'd still expect to run standard pressures, i.e. at least 30-32 front.

You should only run such low pressures on slick or semi-slicks (like the R888) if you're on track, otherwise, when the tyres are up to running temp they get too hot and the rubber goes off.

T1Rs are great on road and OK in the wet on track. Should be fine for sprints though.

9. Mikey C Forum Member

i agree that most likely it is a "pinch" type puncture, lowish pressures, larger aspect ratio and running wide all led to it

Going to have to be a bit more careful on where i allow the car to run wide, probably will run slightly higher cold pressure and when this set have expired i will go back to 45's

I ran the lower pressures to help the tyres warm up quicker, its a 60 second sprint and no back to back running so rears are always cold. have run lower than 24psi before but still experimenting tbh.

Thanks for the comments, i'm just going to stump up 80 for some more, and try not to cry as they throw two brand new tyres away.

Mike