Track tyres or ATB Diff??

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by ianb, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ianb Forum Member

That is the burning question?

Trying to decide on Inters or a diff to put on the MKIV.

Trouble is I could use my road wheels and change the tyres and drive to the circuit or the best way would be to buy wheels and tyres...not cheap at 18" sizes.

or do I run my F1's with a diff....just wondering which will benefit the most for track work.

The decision is partly ruled by cost but in the ideal world as in my MK2 having the Dunlop Formula R's were superb in conjunction with track rubber.
    I don't propose to use the MKIV on track quite as often as in the MK2 though.

Any comments chaps.

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Any smaller wheels you can fit over brakes ?, set of VW OE 17s shouldn't be too much money?

3. steved Forum Member

Diff if you've got monster power otherwise small wheels and tyres.

4. Gentlefoot Forum Member

My diff made the single biggest difference to my cars handling of all mods!

5. steved Forum Member

Haven't tried mine yet, Oh only the other day it felt like i'd been in the gym for four hours.

6. chopperoli Forum Member

is it worth it if youve got less than 120bhp tho?

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No - go for tyres in that instance.

All depends on how much you feel you lose at the front under accel, due to inside wheel 'spin up'.

8. rradogolfman Forum Member

diff,, but get a peqilin form the states works out quite bit cheaper than a quaife for the same thing,,

;)

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

buy some cheap 17"s and track tyres.

10. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

I always worry about getting stuff from the states as what if the diff goes bang and u need to send it back?

Anyhow Gripper for a diff for the 02a box for 565 notes!!

sounds like a plan!!

11. iguana Forum Member

On my Mk2 without a shadow of doubt its sticky rubber, on road tyres often ive wished i could justify spending out on a dif as handling on mainly (but not only) slower wrong camber bends on certain tracks is a nasty spin the inside wheel up go no-where affair, no matter how gentle I am on the gas & that makes me cringe.

Bung sticky rubber on & its like ive added in a dif when ive bolted on the rubber, an LSd in the cars present state i feel wouldnt really make it a huge amount quicker in most track situations (obviously if i was racing & after every last tenth then that would be a diferent matter) & given a quality dif alone would be approx 7 times the cost of the old sticky rubber ive used its a tough choice 'eh ;)

However having babbled all that ref Mk2s- a decent modded 1.8t Mk4 will a lot more torque & is way more lardy so I think the effect of the dif may indeed be way more important

Edited by: iguana

12. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

that's that's what yo do, and he'll replace it.

as far as I'm aware, no one has manged to break one yet.

13. ianb Forum Member

I may look into 17" wheels..see what fits over my brakes.

The only reason I was toying with track rubber was the level of grip is so much better.In it's current form it's difficult to know until I've been on track which is best.

The diff is very useful but again it's best changing the clutch(even though it's not slipping)

Perhaps I will look into track rubber in the 1st instance or just leave the blimmin thing as it is and as Phat VR6 says get some old tyres and wheels.

Ian

14. GVK

What brakes do you run Ian?

I know the 17" Santa Monicas? fit over the R32 front brakes (340 ish mm)

15. ianb Forum Member

Gary

It's on Tarox 6 pot 330mm 2 piece brakes....got fed up of melting my CV joint and on only the 2 occasions I went out in it I melted the CV boot FNS.

Difficult to know what wheels fit in 17 inch if any.

If 17's don't I may leave it and just get a second set of wheels and use my old tyres I've been collecting.
    Track rubber in 18 is normally around 180+ each [:^(]

I can get a diff fitted with help for much less than new wheels and tyres...this track stuff ain't cheap anymore.
    Less time on track this year + I don't want to kill the MKIV as it's my hack to work too.

BTW my neighbour got thru 4.5 tanks of Optimax on track at Donnington...in an Evo 7 [:s] ..work that out [:s]

Ian

16. GVK

Ahhh, I see.... I know the Cossie boys run 17s with AP 330s, but all depends on offset of wheels etc.

Thing is you'll buy the diff and hopefully have it fitted once and forget about it, depending on the tyres you get and how they last you'll be buying a set (or two or three) a year! I will soon need another set of track tyres, my 48s should just last me my next two track days all being well.

AO48s are more money than R888 Toyos but by most accounts the 48s last much longer, so false economy buying 888s..?

Edited by: GVK

17. ianb Forum Member

I suspect track rubber will impact more on track times and handling more than a diff..I'll have to see what wheels fit in 17's.

Ian

18. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

How about keeping the MK IV as a road car, and getting something cheap like a mk2 to use as a track car. Parts for them are much cheaper - and i hear some people are getting up to 200bhp from a 2 litre 16v even with K-jet!

19. prof Forum Addict

20. GVK

Oh the pain!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: