Trackday Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Joe_G, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Joe_G Forum Member

Just wondering what sort of oil consumption people are getting on trackdays?

My 9A 16v doesn't use much on the road at all but I get through a litre (max to min on dipstick) during the course of a trackday.

Just wondering how this compares to everyone else?

My engine's done about 100k and the head has never been off so could be tired stem seals I'm guessing.

Cheers,
    Joe

2. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Mine hardly uses a drop on track or road... :thumbup:

3. Joe_G Forum Member

Hmm, I'm wondering how much Gary's oil consumption improved when he put the new head on, he said something about the consumption being a bit poor before.

I think my engine is quite old tho in terms of the year it was made - 1990 so the seals have had that extra time to harden up over a newer engine with the same mileage.

Have to save up for that flowed head .....

Joe

4. Golden Forum Junkie

6 track sessions will normally eat 1/4-1/2 litre out my 180K KR lump.

5. ColinT Forum Member

My 104k valver uses hardly any on track.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Before I fitted my flowed head,engine was visibly smoking on overrun and at hot idle (guides/valve seals) It still uses a bit but nothing like as much as before.

I seem to find my 16v's always use some oil.

7. Joe_G Forum Member

Hmm, weird thing is mine never seems to blow any blue smoke out of the back, even on full chat/overrun.

Must be going somewhere tho!

Ah well, I'll keep plugging the synta in on the trackdays, isn't gonna cost the earth :thumbup:

Cheers,
    Joe

8. ianb Forum Member

The oil is probably going thru the breather system.

I get thru 1/4-1/2 on a full trackday buit on the road it barely uses a drop

Ian

9. Golden Forum Junkie

That's exactly like mine.

10. DarrenH Forum Member

same here on my XE. but its fully rebuilt (new pistons, rings, rebore and plateau hone) with only 4k on it, and very good (if i do say so myself) ring seal.

no smoke on acceleration or decceleration, i put it down to spending so much time in excess of 7k

11. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

mine uses a fair bit too joe, on the track normally about a litre in a day but it mostly goes through the breather or just leaks out of the top end! :lol: But using slicks with no baffled sump or windage tray it's only to be expected i suppose. [:$] [8(] :lol:

12. barny Forum Member

not a drop !

13. iguana Forum Member

Old head on present Golf valver yip a bit of consumption, say 1/2 litre min for a full trackday

New head, not tracked it yet.

14. Joe_G Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I thought a fair bit might be going through the breathers, does get pretty oiley in the inlet pipe.

I've been meaning to fit a catch tank so I can see exactly how much is coming out.

Did a trackday last Saturday at Combe, great day out, had fun going past a load of integra type R's that were there, including one on cut slicks! I went for a chat with him afterwards, first question - "What the hell have you got in that thing!" :lol:

Was topping up the oil half way through the day as it had used it's normal 1/2 litre or so and a gust of wind suddenly took the stream of oil I was pouring into the engine down the side of the head onto the cambelt. :( [xx(]

Had to take the cover off and clean it all up, noticed the cambelt was fairly slack as well so nipped it up while I was there.

I've got some rubbish vids I might upload when I get time.

Cheers,
    Joe

15. Joe_G Forum Member

Here's a rubbish video:

Quarry

Joe
    Edited by: Joe_G

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Not a lot at all, I thought it needed 1/2 a litre last time but I checked it again when I got home and it was overfilled [:$]. I think a lot of oil can be sucked though the breather, when I took the k-jet off mine the airbox was quite oily.

17. iguana Forum Member

The K jet breather hose fits perfectly into a Lucosade sport plastic bottle, drill a couple of holes in the top of bottle for pressure to get out, gaffer tape round the neck, angle bottle base downwards & cable tie in place to rear/side of air box.

3 mins work lovely jubbly- no more oil on air filter or on metering head ;)

18. Joe_G Forum Member

Cheers, top tip :thumbup:

Will give it a go.

Joe