trackers

Discussion in 'Security' started by jonnybravo, Aug 30, 2004.

1. jonnybravo New Member

does anybody know anything about trackers?are they any good?

2. oak8vgti Forum Member

yes m8, i know about trackers i used to be a quailfied and registered fitter, what do want to know(i take it you mean the units that are actually called tracker)

yeah are good, shouldn't take to long to fit, and if fitted properly will not give you any problems at all
    Edited by: oak8vgti

3. jonnybravo New Member

well ive heard that if your car gets nicked the old bill get it back to you within an hour,also how much are they fitted..

4. oak8vgti Forum Member

sort of m8, there are 2 types, maybe more now, have been out of the trade for a year now, the first was called 24 moniter, this would moniter the vehicle movement by a movement sensor, once the ign was turned on the moniter would stop but if ign was off then it would detect movement, and if it registered like 20 flicks in 10 secs, similer to being transported on a wagen it would tell tracker that the car was being moved, they would call you to check, if you found your car gone then u would phone the police get a crime number, then phone tracker with the crime number and they would activate the system, this would then send out a radio signal, most if not all police cars have recievers inside which look like a little sun dail and a bar gauge next to them, the bar shows signal strength, so the higher the bar the closer they are to it and the sun dail shows them in which direction to go, seems along process but it is to stop false alarms,

the other type of tracker is a standard tracker and this is the same as the other type but without the movement sensor, so when u find your car missing, you phone the police and get crime number and then phone tracker with this number and they activate your tracker and again it sends out a signal.

now with all things in this world they aint fool proof but yeah sometimes they can get your car back within the hour, mostly it will take 24 hrs

i used to work for mercedes benz in chester and there was a business lady who owned 3 mercs all with trackers fitted, all 3 were stolen off her drive, by the usual method of fishing the keys throught the letter box, they were reported stolen the next morning, and all 3 where found within 24 hrs, so it shows it does work well

as for fitting costs, they vary from place to place we used to charge 200 for fitting, then you have the charge of the tracker and then your subscription fee ontop, so all in all it works out a little expensive to start but gives u piece of mind, but when i was fitting them to cars worth 90,000 the owners weren't arsed about an extra 500-600 pounds

hope this helps m8
    Edited by: oak8vgti

5. jonnybravo New Member

yes m8 it does help,that makes very intersting reading,they do sound very good especially the motion sensors,thats the main reason i was looking for information on them cus my mate had broke down in the middle of no where down a country lane,he couldnt get a signal on his mobile so went to find a pay phone taking with him his snap off steering wheel when he got back they had still managed to nick his car and it obviously wouldnt start nor steer,so it must have gone on the back of a lorry,all this in 20 minutes,but what your saying a tracker would combat this form of theft.thanks for the info m8..