transporting a rollcage?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by James_mk2, Jan 15, 2008.

1. James_mk2 Forum Member

I'm soon to purchase a safety devices cage for my mk2, which i'm planning on collecting in my mk4, has anyone either transported a cage in this way before and knows whether it will fit or not?
    alternatively does anyone have access to the dimensions of a 4-point safety devices cage?

any help appreciated

cheers

James

2. prof Forum Addict

take the back seats out and it should fit, but be careful as the hatch on a mk2 is actually a bigger opening than an a3, not sure on a mk4

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

they fit in a esate .. I had it slotted in with the rear arch legs pointing up and the rear seats folded down, 1 foot had to go in the acess hole to the rear light but it wasnt too bad. if it would go in hatch i guess it would, but it would be very tight and require some careful giggery pokery.

might be better to see if you can get the loan of a mates estate or even hire a van for the day to pick it up rather than risk your trim.

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

on the roof?

5. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

We had no problems at all fitting a SD mk2 cage in the back of a civic with the seats down. I can't imagine a mk4 golf is any smaller :)

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i travelled from southend to taunton (ish) to collect a roll cage for my mk3, in my mk3.

it could not be fitted in despite being dismanteled haha

7. James_mk2 Forum Member

thats a little worrying :lol:
    i'm getting dimensions for it before i drive to essex to pick it up, can't find anything on how they dismantle, or if they do? its a safety devices 4-pointer so i imagine it would just be in one piece?

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

oh... and we tried to fit it in, we really did. cracked the windscreen in the process

one thing i found out later was that roll cages commonly require ratchet belts to compress them to get them into a car.

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

mine was a safety devices cage, fitted in the mk1 with out ratchet straps, went in the estate boot too with out it,

I would say it would poss go on in if you took the rear seats out and and the fronts and placed it in the car as it would be in the mk1.. but you might have height issues with that.

10. James_mk2 Forum Member

hmmm, i may see if they can send it to me on a pallet :lol:

11. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

roll it:lol:

roof rack, strop it and tie it down well.
    i've had sofas on top of mine no worries.

try and keep it under a ton as i find thats the speed stuff starts flying off[:D]

12. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Crispy fitted my full mk1 cage in the back of his mk4 so a mk2 should fit

13. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Reminds me of my mini, when we was taking the cage out of that the ratchet slipped and the cage went through the front widescreen....oppps. Lucky i was scrapping the shell otherwise i'd have been not so pleased about that.

14. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

when me and my dad fitted the cage to my mk1 we started by ratcheting the legs but we found we didnt need to, with the seats out, and the centre console out there was easily enough room to get it in and out with out the straps, as the one time we had them on when the tesnsion was released it was bloody dangerous!!! nearly lost a hand!

you picked this cage up yet James?