Tripped Dials

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Aar0n, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Aar0n New Member

The dials on my valver have tripped out at some point in its life. I know it happened a year or so ago and is currently at around 77k. I have the paperwork to back it up and the last recorded legit mileage was around 68k.

Possible causes and fixes? Will I ever be able to get the legit mileage showing again?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can change the mileage, but its not easy. have to make up a custom cable and use a dos program! it looks like a digit has gone on the mfa screen too (maybe try topull the dash fuse 21 for 30 seconds?) so it may be better to find another set of clocks rather than mess, though it may be hard to find some 77k clocks of course.

once removed though you could take the time to play with the new set on the bench once you have confirmed they work ok, if you take the dash trim off driver side underneath you may be able to reach in and pull the clock loom out to test the new cluster, though not sure how accessible it is. easy on a mk2, but they dont have that big metal knee bar!

3. Aar0n New Member

Cheers for the help. I think the mfa screen is faulty more than just that faulty digit. Its reading 37mph stationary at idle or is that an average?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its an average yeah, but if its not driven anywhere then its deffo not right!

5. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Instrument Cluster ID/Test Mode

Re. the missing display segments; all the Lcd display segments (including the Mfa arrows) can be lit, or rather darkened, all at once, in what I think is a cluster i.d./test mode.

• Switch On and wait for any service indicator to finish

• With Total Mileage displayed, press and hold the trip reset while you switch Off and back On

• The mileage display shows '1', then changes to 4 figures, which depend on the spec. of the cluster

• You're now in a loop of eight (8) entries, which are cycled through using the trip reset

• Each entry shows its number (2,3, etc) for a moment before changing to the value stored, or other function

• 2,3 & 4 are concerned with territory, # of cylinders, etc

• 5 tests the displays, showing every segment, and Mfa arrows if present

• 6 & 7 seem to be a distance counter and rpm indication

• 8 is the software revision of the cluster

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015