Tubular subframes, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Admin, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Admin Guest

Ok, I have had the thought of a tubular subframe for a MK2 Golf in my mind for some time now, the reason being that it will be a great wy to save weight, allow for easy use of spherical joints and if designed rightly will give more strength.

I remember that a US based rally team built one and posted the pics, it was a lovely bit of kit and I have found the pics still on the net they are below.

If you were designing one, what or how would you go about doing it?

I think I would push the front wheel forward in the arch to give for caster and keep more engine weight inbetween the axels, I think I would also ditch the std engine mounts and use a low dog bone at the bottom and top of the engine, bottom one linked to the subframe.

Raise the rack to work with ball joint spacers? Is there room?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

strength/weight/time/effort/reward?? have you thought this thro?

3. Admin Guest

Time and effort, I have plenty of. Reward, if I could save 5kg + I would be happy, add then increased caster etc [:D]

Cost is not a problem, we are only talking raw materials. It's more about the challenge of designing and making it, so if I decided I would make one I would enjoy the process.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  4. priceygti Forum Member

truckinduc on here has built a tubular subframe for his mk2 might be worth dropping him a pm

5. Admin Guest

Yep, his was different in the way that it was a lot higher at he front compared to the std subframe.

[​IMG]

6. Admin Guest

I would probably add a brace in the front, however, this would possibly need to be removable so that the engine old be removed without contact.

[​IMG]

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Another thing worth checking while your playing, is checking the bump steer effects which has a lot to do with everything!

8. mec82 Forum Member

I see why it looks appealing from an engine mount point of view but otherwise I'm not sure its worth the effort? How much weight would it save?

I'd say if you're going to the effort of doing that why go space-frame on the whole front end and be done with. Suspension geometry on a golf is awful so if I was doing all that fabrication I'd be tempted to go the whole hog and cut out everything bulk head forward and do Double wishbone and one piece fibreglass front end. :)

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hi Tom,

Raising the subframe has the same effect on geometry as balljoint extenders. The roll center gets lifted back up into a more desirable area. As it also lifts the steering rack, this negates the requirement to flip tie rod ends too. You would need to shorten the steering UJ though.

Gurds

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

^^ As long as you don't raise the engine (and therefore the centre of gravity) in the process. Do you think there's any scope to drop the engine down a bit while you're at it?

11. Admin Guest

I think 10kg saving was mentioned by the rally guys subframe at the top of the page.

12. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

this rally guy is keeping it std below. the static/transient forces that go thro this during a rally would worry me hugely

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not adding an extra one as well as the standard subby then Jon? The girders you built round the front of the Mk1 hold it together pretty well!

14. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Ibiza f2 rally car had tubular subframe like that pictured and that won multiple world rally champs. Got a pic somewhere will dig out.

15. Admin Guest

Rob, that would be very much appreciated.

16. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

And if they bent one on a stage, their team of mechanics would one of the spares ones out of their service barge in 15 mins probably. Laser checked on custom built jigs, out of unobtanium. At the other end of the spectrum, there's me...

17. Joe16v Forum Member

Can't see the engine mounts on that one on top?

I had my subframe off, don't remember it being that heavy. Quite fancy a go

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's more than one way to mount an engine ;)

19. Admin Guest

I think moving the steering rack/subframe height up would cause many other problems such as exhaust mani issues, and engine sump to subframe distance, steering uj etc...

However, adjusting the hubs (or off the shelf forged Ali hubs from the new generation of cars) is always possible, however, making the wishbones/hubs to suit the subframe geo setup would be easier.

Making the engine sit lower is very real and separate engine mounts would be needed anyway with a subframe like this. But this could easily make its own thread.

Now, how low can you go with the engine? People running dry sumps will be able to get the most benefit, however, this will mean adjustments to exhaust manifolds and resultant high costs for the dry sump system.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Big issue with moving the engine lower is drive shaft angle