Twin 40’s on 8v

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by PaulGti, Dec 3, 2004.

1. PaulGti New Member

Hi everyone! :)

I have just had the engine in my 8v re-done and while I was at it I decided to fit twin 40's. I knew of some of the problems I was going to face and have sorted out the problem of heat, however I have not yet sorted the problem of the brake servo. I know that getting a 1.6 servo which will help things - however will this be sufficient as I have 16v brakes?? The other option is to put the servo somewhere else but what sort of work is involved in this? [:s]

There is no real problem if I have no trumpet on the cylinder at the brake servo, however I don't fancy doing this for long!

Thanks,
    Paul

2. philwept_33 Forum Member

hi, im going through the same process at the moment, i havebeen told to use a 1.6 brake servo with an uprated master cylinder. You could get a custom inlet manifold made up, but getting one cut down and welded back up is a nightmare, every business i have asked have toldme to go away!
    So if i were you just upgrade the master cylider, think its 22mm, maybe 23mm.?
    SMall brake servo should materwith the master cylinder, please keep in touch and let me know how it goes as im doing the same at the moment.

3. philwept_33 Forum Member

oh yer and reclocating the brake servo is possible but at least a 300 labour charge, including all newhoses etc, not advisedand a hell of a big job and work up
    Oh yer just quickly , im not using trumpets on mine at the mo, will that restrict the performance??
    phil

4. PaulGti New Member

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply!

I think I will try the 1.6 brake servo and go from there... don't fancy paying that for a relocation! I'm pretty sure I already have an upgraded master cylinder anyway so new servo it is!

The trumpets help with the airflow into each of the carbs and can give a little extra torque. One important thing I think tho is, it is better to have air filters on the carbs to prevent any stray objects getting in!

I'll let you know how I go!