Two cars, one lot of NCB...

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by gtijon, Mar 31, 2008.

1. gtijon Forum Member

I'm looking at geting a Pug 406 to use for work and I'll be keeping my MK2 for trundling around at the weekend / work use when I'm not doing hundreds of miles and getting muddy etc. I'm currently insured with Brentacre for the Golf, and I think renewal comes up in August and by then I'll have 5 years no claims.

The problem is, I'll be getting the 406 in a month or two, and I'll not be able to use any of my no claims on it, and so insurance quotes are coming in at around 800 for TPFT... Is there a better way of doing things? It seems daft that I'd be paying that kind of premium for a slow diesel car. Does anyone with Brentacre know if they can sort something out as they obviously know how much NCB I've got etc?

The only other option I can see is to stop the policy on the Golf to transfer the NCB to the Pug, forfeiting a year's no claims in the process, so that I can get cheap insurance on the Pug and put the Golf on some sort of classic or second car policy, or to go with someone like Norwich Union for the Pug, who'll give me the policy back pro rata if I cancel, then cancel the Pug insurance in August and transfer over the Golf no claims...

2. Aphex Forum Junkie

I was going to suggest the classic policy as an idea..

Try calling brentacre and see what they say about insuring a second car.. hopefully they may be able to help

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I was in a simular situation, apparently I couldnt get a multicar policy for modified cars before I was 30! Iv ended up insuring my pug with my 6 yrs no claims for about 300 a yr with direct line and then my golf mk2 2.0 16v is insured with 0 yrs no claims for 600. And my mk1 cabriolet is insured for 400. Total 1300 on insurance a yr!! They did take into account that I had no claimes but just couldnt use them. If you call one of these small insurance broker places like Brentace or HIC they should do you a nice deal.

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Can you not transfer the policy on the Golf to the Pug, and then get a new policy on the Golf?
    That way you don't lose your no claims bonus, and can then gat a classic car policy on the Golf. I had one for my turbo'd Mk2, 5k mile limit, no commuting, and it was under 400 (although that was a couple of years ago now).

5. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

^^^ my thoughts exactly :)

6. gtijon Forum Member

Hadn't thought of doing that - swapping the policy over to the Pug. Sounds like a plan. Now all I need is someone to insure the Golf cheaply for commuting and business use as a second car...

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

Put the golf on a classic policy?

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, HIC do a classic car policy. Best bit is that means they don't care about NCD.