Two way pager alarms!

Discussion in 'Security' started by essee, Oct 31, 2003.

1. essee Forum Member

hello everyone!

I've seen loads of those 2 way pager alarms with remote start things on Ebay...

Have any of you guys had any experience with these alarms? I know all about the features of them, but are they any good ?! I fancy one, but I can just see it being really unreliable and going wrong all the time... at the prices they're going for, they just seem to good to be true!

The models I've found so far are Giordon, Magicar, Mannix and Telxtron.

Anyone got any opinions on these?

[​IMG]

2. mk3anniversary Forum Member

its not Cat1....tis all i need to know :thumbd:

3. GTi_8v Forum Member

I got tempted by one of those, so much so that i bought one but not any other makes that you have said, sorry!

Went to my local fitters to get a proper install done with it, not a problem they said except for the fact that they are apparantly illegal in the UK. They broadcast using FM, so you've got the equivalent of a small scale pirate radio station going on from your car that can be traced. Needless to say that i didn't get it fitted in the end. Such a good idea though.

Some one please say if what i've been told is wrong, as i still have the pager and wouldn't mind getting it fitted in conjuntion with my Cat 1!

4. essee Forum Member

Woah!! That's news to me!!

Basically my factory alarm keeps going off at stupid o'clock in the morning, for apparently no reason!! I thought that this would give me the excuse I need to get a sexy all singin' & dancin' pager alarm... but now I'm told that the battery could be dying, and can't keep up the voltage the alarm is looking for! That's why it's going off!

All this is happening after I fitted an amp, sub and components! (Whoops!)

I guess a new battery is cheaper than a new alarm anyway!

5. mk3anniversary Forum Member

|You don't have voltage drop on VW's...if you did the alarm would go off everytime the cooling fan comes on after you've parked up, so I doubt its that.

6. essee Forum Member

The alarm seemed to be ok over the last few days, but only last night did I have the guts to leave my battery connected over night...

And guess who's alarm went off at 4:11am??

NOT MINE!! hahaha.... it was some kid with a 206 CC!
    Mine was fine... so whatever was wrong with my alarm, most of last week, seems to have corrected itself!

Shame really, I nearly swapped it for a V5 Bora because of it!

7. fionn Forum Member

Pretty sure that the frequencey they use is free to use within certain power limits all over Europe. I've installed radio modems that use the same range.
    Edited by: fionn

8. StefanVW Forum Member

Check this out!!!

2 Way Alarm Via GSM

works from anywhere in the world!!!!

I've bought stuff from that company before and they are friendly and helpful.

I'm getting this as soon as I can afford it so will let you guys know what it's like...

9. fionn Forum Member

Would a gps tracker not be a better option? After all this gsm alarm can only roughly locate the car & is it really much use knowing your alarm has gone off if you're a few miles away (or more)?

10. essee Forum Member

I just fancy the idea of being able to see the status of the car, on a little LCD screen in my pocket!

Plus, you can start it before getting to it, open just the driver side door and lock it when you get in, all just because you've got that key fob in your hand... very sexy, in my opinion...

11. StefanVW Forum Member

The ordinary pagers only work within a 1 mile radius. The GSM pager sends sms to your phone where ever you are. Advantage of this is that you can send messages back to control the car ie. start siren, enable immobiliser etc. I have to phone them up and check if it can connect up to my existing alarm though...

12. ee00jcb Forum Member

I dont think FM is illegal if used for panic alarms.

13. hayesey Forum Junkie

wow that GSM pager system looks very cool.

I should be getting a new Toad alarm fitted to my car soon & I'm considering getting that as well. I don't care how far away I am, if someone is messing with my car I want to know about it. More chance of doing something than if I don't know about it.

14. ronniez New Member

mannix two-way auto security system

dose anyone have the wiring dirgram, for the mannix sm700, how to install it the a vehicle or were i can get one.
    thanks
    ronnie

15. ronniez New Member

do you have the installation instruction for the mannix sm700 two-way security system.

thanks
    ronnie

16. MotorGuard Forum Member

have you looked at the Viper (clifford's older brother) range. Its used on Pimp My ride USA. They also have a Cat 1 version.

www.motorguarduk.co.uk

17. MR_TOAD_INSTALL Banned

Go for UK produced Alarms or destined for UK
    Toad is as good as most on the market
    Ian

18. Steve B Forum Junkie

mr toad install, what options would i have from toad for cat 1 maybe with remots start with alarm notification or something similar?

my toad ai606 doesnt have this function but would like something similar in my next car?

19. Admin Guest

As per Motorguard, I had a Viper 480XV installed. Its CAT1, and has all of the required features.

I got mine with proximity alert and the two way pager and it only cost 350 fully fitted by Motorguard.

Its fantastic, very few false alarms (heavy snow or rain) and well worth a lot more than i spent on it.