ultimate 16v

Discussion in '16-valve' started by CLIFFY, Jun 28, 2005.

1. CLIFFY New Member

right should be picking up my mk2 1.8 16v this week and basically i know sod all about engines susspension brakes etc. in all honestly i just know what external mods i want, so any help would be much appreciated. looking for awesome handling plenty of power and great brakes (im used to drivin a 51 a4 fsi which in my opion has amazing brakes, so the old brakes concern me)

cheers guys and gals

cliffy

2. buzzby Forum Member

if you have the 256mm brakes then just upgrade the disks and get some mintex pads and that should sharpen up the brakes very nicly. If you have the 239mm (<89) then it may be worth going all out and getting some G60 brakes installed.

As for suspension get it droped about 30-40mm and get some good coilovers. I have no idea which. It would also be a good idea to replace all of the bushes will new poly busjes like powerflex ones.

For the engine there is a quit a bit you can do. You could do the exhaust cam mod which puts another exahaust cam on the inlet which gives better power. Get the engine internals lightened and balanced.

Definatly go to stealth and have it set up on the rolling road.

New exhaust would smooth out power as well.

I am sure people will have a lot more susgestions.

3. trickle New Member

the first thing i done to my mk2 was up grade the front and rear disc and pads,vented groved on the front an groved on the rear with ebc greenstuff pads all round.

for suspension i would put bilstein ajustables would'nt go below 50mm or you will be scraping the front skirt on speed bumps all the time.

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Tried and tested route many of us on here have gone with 16v mk2s is :

2 litre block either 9A/6A 'short block' or ABF 'tallblock'

(Passat GT,Corrado 2litre 16v,Audi 80/coupe 16v,mk3 GTI 16v,Seat Ibiza 16v are all donors for these engines)

If 9A/6A use KR (1800 16v) inlet cam, if ABF head/cams used,leave well alone.
    Add to this a set up with someone who understands K-Jet and you have a reliable 170bhp with bags of torque.

Flowed head will add 10bhp on top of that in my experience.

Uprating the cams can extend the rev range and peak power, but usually at the expense of driveability.

Exhaust, some say 4 branch manifolds are essential, others don't... my car has 180+ bhp without one for example. Jetex 2.5" stainless system is a popular choice and not too noisy.

As said above 280mm brakes are a good safe mod, and there's loads of threads about those on here, including an FAQ.

Suspension, depends what you want, if you're not going on track, a set of fixed rate Bilsteins or similar with Eibach or H+R springs will do the job, or you can go the coil over route if you want ride height adjustability.

Uprated anti-roll bars are another popular mod as they reduce the body roll and response of the chassis without ruining the ride quality.

There's loads you can do, basically .

There's a sticky thread about 16v's in this section, lots of good info about the 16v engines in there.

Edited by: GVK

5. iguana Forum Member

Depends how far you wanna go down the "Ultimate" route.

Body mods best left alone unless you want folks to laugh at you.

Keeping normily aspirated & not silly budget, fiddle wit the lump using 2.0l botton end, flowed head, to 180ish bhp, to 200bhp with lairy cams, use decent suspenson set up + uprated ARBs, braided brake lines all round & decnet pads/discs with 256mm or 280mm or even use Brembo/porsche 4 pots can be had from 400 area & they are amazing brakes.

6. chrismc Forum Junkie

[:D] [:D]

Oh yes! Just a pity that my discs are of such a size (& single piece) that they are all too easy to warp! [xx(]

7. GVK

Aye, the 'ultimate' 16v would be throttle bodies, aftemarket ECU,big cams, solid lifters,steel rods,forged higher CR pistons, lightened and balanced, knife edged crank etc etc mega-bucks 6000-7000.

8. iguana Forum Member

Not really sure any of our cars are "ultimate" (tho maybe RobTs engine spec is close to it for n/a) but good selection of modded Valvers & whats been done to them in the Golf+ mag 16v frenzy.

Either go to the shop s& buy the current issue or go here & right click on the 'click me' in the 1st post

this thread
    Edited by: iguana

9. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Ultimate 16v would have to include a steel crank, dry sump, drake 16v head!

10. GVK

Is the guy after a race engine though, or just a useable fast road car?????? :lol:

11. buzzby Forum Member

and get wet nitrous

12. ianb Forum Member

Finding something to replace my valver is becoming a nightmare...........best road and track car I've ever owned ;)

There's nothing out there within budget that will equal it........ [:^(] [:^(]

Ian

13. GVK

Keep it then [:D]

14. chrismc Forum Junkie

Agreed!...Go Steel botoom end, Solid lifter head & ITBs

Then we'll all have to do it to try & keep up! ;)

15. TuningBrasil New Member

Hey buzzby, just got 256mm discs in my car (VW Parati, from Brasil) and I'm looking for GOOD pads...

Do you think MINTEX (or another brand) would have a pad like this?!

[​IMG]

If you can help me... :)

Andre

16. GVK

Ferodo FCP774R (DS2500 or DS3000) for 16v 256mm