Unknown Trolley Jack...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zender Z20, May 12, 2023.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Was gifted this old trolley jack recently, works perfectly and like alot of bygone kit it's been made to last.

With it, for comparison purposes is a modern day 2 tonne jack I keep in the daily for emergencys.

The old one seems to still have it's quite distinctive paint colour scheme, but if there were any labels on it they're long since gone, nor can I find anything stamped into it.

Just out of curiosity I'd like to know it's make (maybe those colours are associated with a particular tool maker?), but also on a practical note it'd be sensible to also know its recommended weight lifting capacity.

While it's generally bigger than the new jack, particularly in length and therefore reach the ram and piston parts of each are a close match dimension wise suggesting it's maybe also 2 tonnes?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

2. watercooled Forum Member

Build like a tank unlike the China made rubbish we get here,common fault with them is they end up leaking and they don't stay so up,axles often bend and they are generally painted poorly and rust.
    If you use these jack jackstands are a must have,I've lost count of the ones that have failed but I admit they get a lot of use.

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Well judging by the colour scheme, you may be the proud owner of a vintage Gulf Oil Racing trolley jack....Congrats, might be worth getting a valuation.
    [​IMG]

4. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Have you tried using a Google image search by uploading your photo and looking for similar, via Google lens?

I had a go on my phone and it appears that a lot of old jacks were orange. Possibly a vintage Armstrong jack. But have a go yourself and see if that gets you anywhere.

I’d be interested to see how you get on

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Random I know, but it's not an old Halfords one (pre-chinesium), is it?

I have an ancient trolley jack that used to be my grandads. From the late 70's or 80's I reckon. It's built like a tank and a very similar blue colour, wheels and shape. No orange though....

6. AKAeddypeck Forum Member

Nice Idea, especially with the current Halfords branding. However back in the day Halfords was blue and red.

[​IMG]

7. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Ancient... Grandad... 80's... this isn't doing my self esteem much good!

Do still occasionally have a mooch about to see if I can find it, a few similar ones about (then how different can one old jack be from another?) but nothing exactly like it. It's the square cut / dished cup... you'd imagine it'd be awkward on sills and such, more for diffs, gearboxes maybe?