Unusual Tyre Wear (Track use)

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by LlyrJ, Nov 21, 2008.

1. LlyrJ New Member

Did a track day last Sunday in my Golf, noticed some unusual wear on the front passenger side:

[​IMG]

Drivers side looks more like what I was expecting:

[​IMG]

Pressures were maintained at 32 psi all day, tyres are Toyo R888s. The car has an ATB diff fitted. Passenger side was the most loaded tyre during the day.

Geometry was done before the track day, camber is -2 degrees at the front with 2 minutes of toe out each side.

I initially thought it might be the tyre rolling in on itself, but looking at some photos taken it seems ok

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on what would cause such concentrated wear on that part of the tyre?

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

i'd say over pressure, but you say you checked that. did you try a different guage against yours to see if yours is accurate?

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Not enough camber from what I can see - the NSF wheel looks fairly vertical, though the car looks well poised and without too much roll.

So increasing camber should help.

Do you know the settings which were on it?

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Excuse me for not reading post 1 properly.

2 degrees [:s] That should be enough.

Hmmmm.

5. LlyrJ New Member

I will check the gauge, just in case.

I thought 2 degrees would be enough also!

What tyre pressures are people running on track with R888s?

The car is running KW V3s coilovers, eibach ARBs and polybushed throughout. Currently running about 260bhp/285lbft on Powerstation's dyno so probably a little optimistic!

6. Dub Nutta Forum Member

I would defintly say over pressure.. I was running the same 32psi (Hot, as advised by the race school instructor!) in my R888's and has a similar issue at combe so will be running nearer the 25 in future.

As for the camber it's dependend on your castor angle, 2 degrees with wheels straight ahead is likley to be nowhere near as much with some steering lock on as it would be mid turn...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'd struggle to blame it on castor entirely though, otherwise it would be a common Mk2 issue.

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

You camber is too low it needs to be 3.0-3.5 really. you say 32psi i take it that you mean hot????. Thats far too high you need to be 28 hot really. 24f cold and 26r hot is a good starting point. Then adjust when hot. Its definitely over inflation.

9. LlyrJ New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, will get a new set ordered for the front and aim for about 28 psi hot.

Pascal, -3.5 seems like a lot of camber, is that what you run?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mike runs loads on his racecar, but they're not normal settings for trackday use.

Your car corners flat, and 3.5 is going to be awful/poss understeery on the road on slow corners.

Try those lower pressures, and keep an eye on the tyres.

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hi there. If you using it as a daily which occasionally goes on track then stay at about 2, but if its a pure track car then i go higher. I drove olly20vt's race car on the road with about -3 degrees and it was ok. Id be tempted to go a bit higher and see how it goes. But it also depends on your driving style. How aggressive are you ie steering inputs. More camber gives you more turn in and you toe out is about right id say.

My race car runs at just over -5 front and -3.5 rear but thats due to the heavy VR6 lump up front. if it had a 16v in then we be down around the 4 mark. My chasis set up is simular to the touring cars of the late 90's big camber big spring rates and loads of toe out. But it is not easy to drive like this it suits a certain style which ive learned rather than been my own.

I think the pressures will sort it tbh and the castor is nothing to do with it but the camber will affect it slightly. What spring rates are you running.

What rear camber you running -2 ???

12. LlyrJ New Member

It's my second car and tends to be used on track more than the road.

Spring rates are F - 60N/mm R- 50N/mm IIRC, they are the standard rates that come with the KW V3s.

More turn in would be good, I felt it was the only thing that needed improving on the day.

I will try ~ -2.5 next time to see how it feels. Rear is -1.5 and at the moment feels fine.

All suggestions added to the "mods to do over winter" list :)

13. mk28vICED Forum Member

i think it is also too high psi on the front, on the rear that is ok, it will help you lose the grip at the rear and reduce understeer. i ran 30 on the fronts cold once and the tyre that kept getting loaded up got up to 37psi and tread went like yours rather quickly and the car understeered badly.
    28 hot on the fronts is ok, you can go lower

14. seanlazyass Forum Member

When I got my R888's I called the Toyo technical department and spoke to one of their engineers.

FWD car, approx 200bhp and 1000kg's. He said I should be aiming for around 36psi hot.