Upping the boost on a turbo?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by deacon, Mar 16, 2004.

1. deacon Forum Member

Ok, some of you aren't gonna like thid at all but he's a mate. Right he has just bought an RS Turbo, mint and standard apart from a dump valve. He has found out that he ain't running enough boost (5psi) ish but he doesn't know how to increase it, does anyone know if you can do it by adjusting the actuator? any thing will be a helpI'm sorry for mentioning the RS on the hallowed pages of Club GTI please forgive me!!!!!!

2. Paul Forum Member

Shouldnt this be under the turbo section :lol:

3. richgit Forum Junkie

find the 'increase boost' dial on the turbo itself, and turn it clockwise [:D]

4. Nick Forum Member

To up the boost using the actuator, you'll need an adjustable actuator ;) or one thats rated to a certain boost level.

You can buy a boost controller (often called a bleed valve) that runs on the actuator hose, that "bleeds" off air, tricking the actuator into thinking its not open as much as it is. This is the cheapest way to do it (and almost as effective)

It stay away from cheapo Bleed Valves, as they can cause boost "spiking" which is bad for your engine. A ball-bearing unit is much better www.gb-ent.com sell a ball-bearing boost controller that works very well - i used one on my rover, and use a similar one on my 200sx.

Bear in mind that the car will have some kind of Fuel Cut, to prevent the car from running too much boost (ie, the air is going in faster the the fuel it needs), hence "chipping" the car to run more boost.

Im pretty sure you can run around 1bar (14.7psi) on an RST standard.

And one more thing, RST's should run more than 5psi standard - so are you sure its not leaking boost somewhere ?
    Edited by: Nick

5. Jeff Forum Junkie

yeah was gonna say if its not running enough get whatever the cause is fixed, before you mask it by fitting bleed valves etc.

6. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

as what everyone else has said.
    if it's down on boost, upping to compensate without fixing the original problem will just cause major problems in the long run........

7. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Wind in the actuator, and horse it to it blows up :clap:

Alan

8. mk1boy Forum Member

having owned an rs turbo i can give u some advice. your mate will probably find that the actuator on his car has gone weak with age which they all do and by replacing it with a -31 actuator and have the boost increased by having the car chipped it will then be able to hold boost at around 14-15psi on standard turbo, anymore will require uprated turbo/clutch etc as well as internals.

9. 800gallons Forum Member

just rip thje pipe off the actuator, bye bye 5 psi

10. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

GVK has a neat little modification for RST actuators - not quite as simple as 800G's one - but works just as well....

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

lol :p We won't go into what happens if you fit a truck actuator on a series 1 RST :lol:

Standard RST can hold 10 psi before the boost limit cuts the ignition.

As mk1boy says,if the car is 'chipped' (raised boost limit) a -31 actuator set to about 1 bar will give around 180-190bhp.

I recommend Harvey Gibbs at SCS in Peterborough for setting up RST's (01733) 576614

He used to set up the two RSTs I had and has built a lo-comp engine for my mate's RST which runs at 23psi, goes well enough to kick the local "Daddy will pay boy"s RS Focus' ass [:D]
    Edited by: G_V_K