Uprating rear pads for track use

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I'll fit this Wilwood one day :thumbup:

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Bled the brakes at lunch time and 97.8% :p got my pedal back, the rear discs are warped so got a new set of those to go on, rear pads are cremated and look as though they'll fall apart once removed :lol:

3. Carl S Forum Member

If the rear disks are warped then they will push the piston back out into the caliper when they spin, thus giving you the extra long travel when you put your foot on the brake again, looks like you've found your culprit :)

4. GVK

That's what I'm hoping Carl. If my rear pads turn up in the post tomorrow I'll be able to fit the rear discs and pads after work.

Lot's of vibration and humming when braking from *cough* 70 mph at the moment, no vibrations felt through steering wheel though, so it's got to be the rears.

5. NormanCoal Forum Member

If the rears are getting warped then I would definitely say that they are getting worked too much, let some of the bias off at the very least.

It must be about a year since we bought that SRF from that scouser, and I still havent used any of it!

6. iguana Forum Member

Gary, from driving yours, you defo have more rear bias than I do, felt like it had a bit too much rear for me personally. Tho those Ferodos seemed to have v decent cold bite- defo more than the Pagids anyway. (Standard 16v 22m master cyl in yours I assuem not using a bigger one are you)

Ref brake fluid ive just used cheapo DOT 4 stuff but its been bled out v regually, actually coz of various brake changes etc along the way its been changed after each trackday & the fluid is cheap so I'll continue doing that.

I was getting a slighly longer pedal at the end of the day at donny, tho from experience if after each track day I give the pads a darn good de-glaze & clean out the dust from the grooves on the Brembos its much better.

7. Kingsley Forum Member

i run with mintex race pads up front and ebc reds at back... this is pretty poo when cold although its more than enough, but when hot they stop lovely

8. GVK

My brakes are fine on the road, you just can not replicate on the road, the abuse our brakes get on the track.

9. vrbanana Forum Junkie

want to bet?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

neighbours have knocked at the door several times to say my car was on fire after Ive nailed it on the way home after working late, not unusual to jump out of the car only to see the front discs are bright orange (not dull red). I never have the valve caps fitted when the tyres are replace because Ive had the valve caps melt to the stem so I had to use a pair of pliers to get them off:lol:
    Edited by: motorhead

10. GVK

11. Carl S Forum Member

Just thought, if it only happens when you hammer the car, have you checked all the heat shields are in place between the exhaust and brake pipes ? Not just the onesin the engine bay, but the ones round the rear boxes as well ?

Are you running a tubular manifold? could this be radiating more heat than the standard one as it's thinner? I had this problem with my old Cobra, I solved it with some heat proof sleeving from Merlin Motorsport.

12. GVK

Good point actually, maybe some heat reflective tape around the brake pipes that run across the bulkhead might be an idea.

13. GVK

14. GVK

Pagid fast road rear pads arrived today and as my DS2500 have down two track days and been f'kin hot I've ordered some DS3000 front pads for use on track, I will stop the f**king thing :lol: