Using a "harmonic balancer" crankshaft pulley on older style engines

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mr.brown, May 3, 2017.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I've seen/read about the (potentially disastrous) effects of using a non-harmonic balancer pulley where one was originally fitted but what about the other way around?

I have a bolt-on trigger wheel solution that's designed to fit an AGG (actually ABA but its the same thing) pulley. Could there be the same potential side effects if I fit this to my 3A block?

:idea:

Grateful for input :thumbup:

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The further away an enthusiast modifies his powertrain from the durability built into factory hardware, the more likely you are to induce a failure.
    The bolt on trigger wheel should not be a problem once the vibration damper remains standard.

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I think I'll give it a go - if it does cause engine failure it will just move up the ABF swap timetable :)

4. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

Were there any failures or noticeable repercussions from changing to lightweight non-dampening pulleys?

I've always liked the idea of using them to minimise parasitic loss from the engine but not fitted them myself.

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have seen it on other forums where a aluminium pulley kit was used and the nose of the crank let go on a R32 probably made worse by it also having a lightweight alloy flywheel instead of the dual mass flywheel

It's a ticking time bomb that could let go anytime

6. TomAKL

TomAKL Paid Member Paid Member

Lightening the other auxiliary pulleys may be an idea then, this has got me thinking haha.

The water pump pulley and the alternator pulley are the only two left on mine, after binning off the power steering pump and never having aircon.

They could both potentially be swapped for lightweight ally items i.e. gruvenparts stuff, but due to the rotational size of things like the alt pulley is it really worth the outlay? I'd be more inclined to carefully drill 'teledial' holes in the water pump pulley to remove some mass but keep it balanced.

But this is like one-make race series stuff to pip the field by a thousandth of a second. I'm gonna get the hole-saw out over winter i think and experiment :thumbup: