Using RCA and remote wire source from one amp to use for another?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by G-Man, Aug 31, 2010.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Can anyone tell me the potential problems of using the low level and remote feed used from an existing amp to provide both an RCA and remote feed for another amp?

The factory headunit doesn't have any RCA's, as it uses the low level input through a nifty din plug. I'm looking to create a Y-splitter lead from the OEM factory cable as I know it has the correct RCA and remote outputs.

Will this overload the factory headunit? The new amp will have its own and separate power supply, but wasn't sure if you can overload a headunit via the low level (RCA based) feed or the remote amp turn on?

Any inside basic electrical knowledge would be great [:D]

2. onnie Forum Member

Its fine to piggy back the remote wire, 1-3 amps should be OK (I've never had any problems doing it)

But I'm not sure about the low-level wiring though, in theory it should be OK.

Most amps have a rca pass through though, maybe you could do low-level into one amp, then rca through into the other amp. See if it works

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it will halve the input signal so youll have to use more gain. more gain = more noise. thats about the only down side

bo-selecta!!