Vacuum in fuel tank!

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by tiggerhayes, Oct 8, 2011.

1. tiggerhayes New Member

Hi,

Whenever I take the fuel cap off there's a vacuum in the fuel tank and I get a hissing noise as I undo the cap. It's got alot worse recently and last time petrol sprayed out as I undid the cap... :o

Today as I was going along, the car spluttered like it was out of fuel, but there's plenty. So I stopped and checked the fuel cap, and fuel was leaking out, I loosened the cap very slowly as there was alot pressure built up!! I could hear things relaxing as the pressure was released!! [:[]

Any ideas? I can't go round leaking petrol everywhere!!! There's a little nozzle just inside the fuel pipe that can be wiggled.... is this the breather?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Rallye_Will Forum Member

Clear your breather pipes

3. tiggerhayes New Member

Let it idle today with the fuel cap off and gradually fuel welled up in the pipe until it was pouring out.... I'm totally flummoxed!!

4. tiggerhayes New Member

It turned out to be two pipes connected wrongly on the canister at the rear left of the engine bay. Switched them round and no more fuel pouring out of the filler neck!!!

Job done!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

5. harrismatrix New Member

Hi, mine's come back from having a major service with the same problem - fuel tank contracted under vacuum and started leaking fuel as we drove up a ramp into a multistory. Does anyone know where I can find out what order the fuel sender and return pipes (and the third - EVAP service pipe??) should be plugged into the injector setup? Can supply a picture of what it looks like now if that would help -