VAGCOM suspect MAF fault

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by maltloaf, Aug 30, 2011.

1. maltloaf New Member

Hi,

I have been running an AGU lump in my mk2 on OEM management for a few months and over the last couple of days I have noticed that it is hesitating and running a lot richer than normal.

After plugging in VAGCOM I am getting the fault:
    00561 - Mixture Adaptation
    14-10 - Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded - Intermittent

I have looked over the vacuum pipes etc and cannot see any obvious problems or leaks, so I am guessing it would be worth trying a MAF?
    If this is the case is it a good time to try a larger MAF housing? Also is the sensor the same for the S3/TT k04 as my AGU? If not, is it just worth getting a standard MAF from VW, etc?

The car is running a remapped ECU, FMIC, 2.5" S/S system and panel filter if this helps. I am planning on upgrading to a K04 eventually, but it is a daily so just need it running smooth again for the time being. :)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Matt.

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

what g/s does the maf show under a power run?

3. maltloaf New Member

I have the full copy of VAGCOM but am still learning how to use it fully.

Do you know which measuring block group I should be using?
    I have just logged a couple of values from 002 and 021. I believe 002 should be the correct group but is it the Engine Load or Air Mass in?
    It would make sense that 'Air Mass in' is the correct column but the results range from 2.8 up to 51ish. This was on a short run with the engine warm and not going over 3500revs in 2/3rd.

It was around 2.8-2.9 at idle.

Does this sound right?

Thanks

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

you need to rev it from 2krpm to 6krpm full throttle to log what the maf's doing full scale..
    120g/s is the target for 150bhp motor.. significantly less than this and its likely under reading (presuming boost is ok)

5. HidRo Forum Member

Wouldn't it depend on the maf housing as well?
    On my 234hp+ remap, the MAF would see less than 150g/s. 3" MAF housing. On the stock housing, it would not go after 3.5k RPM (buck and sputter).

6. maltloaf New Member

Thanks I will give this a go, if I can find a road empty enough. :)
    Is there a measuring block for boost? I could not find it when I was looking through the groups and have not installed a boost/vacuum gauge yet.

Is it worth me getting a 3" housing anyway or will the engine run too lean and not be able to compensate? The last rolling road session was producing results around the 200bhp mark.

Thanks

Matt

7. HidRo Forum Member

It would only worth it, if the ECU is mapped to use the 3". So all the calculations will be for the 3" flow.
    From my understanding (and I can be wrong) the MAF sensor will read between 2 values (lets say 0 and 200) and if you have a turbo that is drawing too much air it will max out the sensor. By increasing the housing size, you will have the values between the 0 and 200 again.

8. maltloaf New Member

Understood, Thanks.

9. maltloaf New Member

I have run a couple of tests and the MAF results would suggest that it is ok.

I did notice that the throttle angle was a little low at idle and after running the throttle body alignment everything seems to be running a lot better.

Hopefully this has sorted it.

Thanks for the help.