Vagcom/vcds?...timing sorted on audi

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by LregG, Dec 5, 2011.

1. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Having never seen or used either i thought i would ask some questions, thanking you please....

Where's the best place to get the software and lead from and how much is the licence to use it?

What's the difference between vagcom and vcds?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

As above, you just buy it online from the Ross-Tech site. You download it and then make payment for full registration, and get the registration key by email. I got VCDS-Lite which was about 60.

I'm using both an eBay dongle and also one I made myself.

If you buy it, be sure to install and register it on a laptop PC that you know you're going to keep for a while and don't intend to upgrade the hardware on. The registration key is tied to the ID of your PC's hardware and the registered software will cease to work if you change the CPU for example, and they'll only allow a second re-registration, and that's it.

4. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Trev does this mean there are bluetooth dongles available that are VCDS compatible? I am still using a cable but would love to get hold of a bluetooth dongle :thumbup:

Tim

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'm not sure if Ross-Tech's software supports Bluetooth dongles but I'm guessing not (correct me if I'm wrong though) because they're heavy on supporting their own wired dongles. I do have a Bluetooth ODB dongle sat on the desk waiting for a project though...

6. LregG

would vcds lite allow me to check the timing of my mk3 tdi pump and activate the cruise control for example?

7. Collie Forum Junkie

defo cruise not sure on timing, is it not mechanical pump on a mk3? its very useful even in shareware mode for reading and clearing codes.

8. LregG

The mk3 tdi uses an electronically controlled mechanical bosch ve pump collie...this is the reason why the cruise control only needs simple swithches and an ecu recode to get it working.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the cheap vag-com 409.1 usb cables are all you need for mk3 golfs, or vcds-lite which is basically same sw but updated to work on newer versions of windows. the full VCDS is only required for more modern VWs. pm me :thumbup:

10. LregG

Now up and running....[:D]

Still need to have a play....most interested in checking the pump timing....which measuring block do i need for this??

11. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

I got some hacked software with full access to all functions and matching lead off ebay for 50, the guy sometimes pops up for 1 day only every now and then, to avoid detection i guess. Not that i condone such things of course, i was of course not aware;)

mines a vag 912 dual k & CAN lead.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  12. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Iv have a cloned lead as well as you say they come up from time to time
    I think I payed 28 quid for mine
    Dose everything the real one can
    The lead I have has vag 106 on it

Some AntiVirus don't like the software

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  13. pettsy Forum Member

i bought the full hex/can lead a couple of years ago. expensive, but means it keep updating for more modern vag vehicles. I got a crafter van earlier this year and its been updated to cover that etc.

14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I have a fully legit Hex com lead (250 when i first bought it) but had to get a cloned CAN USB lead fully working version to look at the newer platform cars. These cloned versions are very useful, i wouldnt bother with 409.1.

I'm able to get theses from a contact i have, any time.

15. LregG

For the money I've spent, I'm happy...my A3 tdi se, mk3 tdi gl and abf'd mk2 all communicate fine but I need to have a play to see what functions are enabled/disabled

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Don't think you can do adaptions on those leads.

17. LregG

I'll have a play and report back...I've probably already saved myself the cost of the lead by diagnosing the fact that the brake pedal switch on my mk3 was bringing on the glow plug light every now and then:)

18. m1keh Forum Member

A full version of VCDS lite will do the adaptions and bring up the tdi timing tool. Just go into measure blocks on the engine then click switch to basic settings and the TDI timing graph will come up. Select your engine type and it will all make sense.

19. LregG

Cheers mike[:D]

20. LregG

i've just checked the timing using the tdi timing graph on the mk3 and it's reporting 'timing within spec but retarded' with a value between 29-31....I'm taking it that the best vaule for the timing is to be around 60??

[​IMG]

Regarding adaptions, i'm going to have a go at adapting the EGR to not open anymore when time allows ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011