Valet key sometimes sounds alarm

Discussion in 'Security' started by lpb, Nov 26, 2006.

1. LPB

lpb New Member

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but found it very helpful when researching my car purchase.

A month ago I bought a new 2007 GTI 4-door. It's great!

But I'm having an intermittent problem.

I frequently use the valet key to lock the car when I go to the gym (since it's easier to carry than the fob). Maybe once in 15 or 20 times I do this, when I return and unlock the driver door, the alarm sounds as I open the door. Every other time it opens w/o the alarm sounding, as expected. Maybe I'm doing something slightly different these times, but I can't figure out what! I thought maybe it had to do with opening the hatch sometimes prior to locking, but I tested this and couldn't get the alarm to sound during the test.

Can you think of any way I could be causing this to happen? Or do you think I might have an electrical problem somewhere with the mechanism?

One last thing that may be related: The car came with only one master key, so the dealer did rekeying/reprogramming (I'm not sure what exactly, but they took the only master key/fob and the valet key and returned those two plus a new master fob/key).

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Larry