Valver to ABF

Discussion in '16-valve' started by mickeyblue, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

8v cars can tick over at about 800rpm. The 16v kjets tend to need 950-1000 rpm

2. mickeyblue New Member

Thanks guys I got her set last night, but the cutting out is still a problem, although if I unplug the over run cut off valve then she's fine, I've tested the swithces, should I renew my vacuum system or can I test the pressure to check?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what are the ignition components like, have you renewed anything?

4. mickeyblue New Member

Just new bosch platinum plugs and leads the hall sender on the dizzy is a little loose but its not falling out the leads are a bit crap though, after market ones that don't look awfully well done.

5. rubjonny

new cap & arm plus boggo oem quality beru leads from GSF or AVS would be next on my shopping list then!

6. mickeyblue New Member

totally forgot the dizzy cap is new as well. I've ordered a rotor arm and have a set of standard leads I'll try the night, just got a real funny feeling its vacuum orintated!!!

7. rubjonny

yeah it could well be, have you checked the inlet boots for cracks in between the ribs, and made sure its connected to the throttle body properly? Mine is a total nightmare to fit to the throttle body it always curls up underneath.

8. mickeyblue New Member

The dizzy cap is new and just ordered a rotor arm, I have the standard leads still so I'll try them on and see, just have a feeling I've missed something ridiculusly obvious and its vacuum related is there a pressure it should be at on idle as I know the MFA can give the system pressure?

9. rubjonny

think theres an mfa secret menu faq somewhere?

10. mickeyblue New Member

yeah holding in the MFA selector button and turning the ignition on so only the dash lights are on then still holding the button turn it off then start the car when the car starts releas the button and this puts the MFA in service mode or something, you get vacuum pressure RPM, fuel shut off pressure, RPM Limit, and other stuff, pretty good like!

I'll give the vacuum sys, a complete going over the night MOT at 9am so fingers crossed!

11. rubjonny

i recal a recent thread where someone was having issues, they replaced the clip on the chunky brake servo vac pipe to the inlet manifold and this solved them. i cant remember what issues this actually caused/solved though :lol:

12. mickeyblue New Member

Had the MOT this morning and even after following the guide about setting the idle and co2 she had an emissions test result of 7.35% Can someone give me a more concise how to guide and what is the red plug behind the coil?

13. rubjonny

is that after the garage tried to set the CO or was that what you set it to 'by ear'?

14. mickeyblue New Member

I tried to set it last night using a gastester but either the tester is **** or I can't follow how to guides but I set the idle first - no bother sounded fairly rough mind you, then when it came to do the CO2 I disconnected the red single connector next to the coil, took the ISV hose from the rohr pipe and blocked the rohr side then tried to start the car, super hard and ran worse then ever before, tried adjusting the screw but everytime I turned the screw the engine cut out?

15. rubjonny

ah you disconnected the wrong hose :lol:
    you're supposed to disconnect the breather from the front of the block, and move it so it doesnt suck in any crank fumes or block it ;)

16. mickeyblue New Member

Doh! so the ISV hose stays connected then and I block the airbox not the breather? Really struggling as its all new to me!

17. rubjonny

yeah isv stays as-is, you pull the pipe from the front of the block and plug the end. (airbox side, leave the block breathing to air)

18. mickeyblue New Member

nice one I'll try that when I get finished work, other bits on the MOT failure were stupid bits like untightened bolts and blown bulbs. fixed tonight for retest the morn [:D] [:D]

19. mickeyblue New Member

Got all the crap bits sorted and tried setting thew co2 again last night, the meter seems to be reading between 1.1 and 2.5% initially it was around two rising to 2.5 then after about five minutes it dropped to 1.1% the engine was at temp throughout and the thermostat and fan working fine? The engine doesn't sound bad but its just not quite totally smooth and she struggles a wee bit when taking off - I scared to fiddle anymore incase a ruin the setting I have as this one should pass the MOT!

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Did you calibrate the gauge in clean air before using it? This is vital on most gastesting gauges.