VDO Gauges and Senders

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mbradbrook, Dec 22, 2003.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

Where is this found on an Audi engine??? I know where there is a couple of Audi's which are being broken which had the gauges fitted.

2. frazerbennett New Member

You can make your own temp sender that uses the sump plug.
    [​IMG]
    And the twin pole sender for the pressure looks like this:

[​IMG]

Dont know bout other audi's but on an RS2 engine its quite a bit down the right hand side (if looking from the front) of the block. You can change the colour of the needles by taking them off, scraping the paint form the back of them and then painting a new colour of your choice but only on the back of the needle (so it still lights up nice) like this:
    [​IMG]

Sorry if the pics are quite large.
    Edited by: frazerbennett

3. Greenmk1 Forum Member

I have a sender like the one pictured, but i rated at 10 bar. So am i correct in saying that this will not work with the 5 bar gauge that i have.

If i used a 10 bar guage instead, would this show any pressure increase on a mk1 or do they not make that sort of pressure?

4. mbradbrook Forum Member

Finally received the gauges this morning - got them off e-bay.

What are the options for mounting the gauges on a mk 2 Golf then? Is there a panel that will fit in the cubby hole under the ashtray? The alternative is to get hold of a Votex console but these are pretty expensive.

Slippers you have mail.....

Cheers

Matt

5. frazerbennett New Member

I thought they were 8 bar the switch was rated at? The rating is for the switch and not for the sender on the twin pole one so it shouldnt make a difference for the guage. It reads off the scale when you start from cold then should settle down once its warm.
    You can put them in where the stereo was like i done but it requires a bit of work. I used the metal bracket from the audi it was taken from:
    [​IMG]
    Aund used the plastic surround then modified it to fit into the stereo slot before spraying teh whole plastic surround (sprayed the outer of the guages black instead of there original brown too):
    [​IMG]

6. jprocter Forum Member

There is 1 that awesome sell but its 19 for a bit of plastic with 2 holes in [:s]

7. ZapBranny Forum Member

I've just put two in under the ashtray.

Liked the idea of a votex, but the price, availability and moving the radio didn't really appeal.

All you need to do is modify your fischer casette box (if you haven't got one go to any scrap yard and pick one up, are everywhere)

Remove the actual casette holders (separate boxes that slide of the back), and cut through to remove the divided triangular section.

All you need to do then is mark out the shape using the outside of the fischer thing as a template on to your chosen material. I used stainless steel, just because there was some old heating duct lying about in the garage, but it was a pain in the arse to cut especially the holes as the outside bezel is only something like 0.2cm wider than the main body. Plastic would probably be easier.

If you are going to put in all three guages, they will only fit in a triangular shape, i.e with 2 at the top and one at the bottom in the middle

Once the panel has been cut to shape, mark it up, and drill holes in the corners and then slide some long round headed bolts through (this will be tight on one of the corners)

Once all that was done I covered covered it in black leatherette (patterened stick on vinyl, similar to the material on the dash) which means it looks almost standard if I do say so myself [:$]

Using the fischer thing, means that it fits perfectly and doesn't rattle e.t.c, but if you want to take them out just disconnect the wires from the back, and the whole lot can come out.

8. vw scottie Forum Member

How have you managed to get the front of the gauges off to paint the needles or is it a differant gauge in the second picture [:s]
    Edited by: vw scottie

9. frazerbennett New Member

Yes, with a little persuasion they come off. The fronts (as in the plastic covers) come off, but be carefull not to crack the plastic, i heated up the glue to make it easier. Then be even more carefull to get the needles off. But they do come off. scrape the paint off the back then replace with what you want. They are all the same dials in the pic, from start to finish.
    Edited by: frazerbennett

10. damogti Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

I have got a Votex Console for my gauges, definately worth the cost and hassle to fit i think.........

11. Greenmk1 Forum Member

Does this look like the correct sort of switch for a VW. It has a rating of 120c stamped on it and is supposed to be an oil temp switch.

Is this right or is it useless?
    [​IMG]

12. mbradbrook Forum Member

Morning all,

Just received a vdo dual pole pressure sender. Unfortunately it appears to be a 0-10 bar one (with 0.5 bar switch) and the gauge is only 0-5 bar. Question is can i still use it? Is there a way that i can alter its output with a resistor?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Matt

13. frazerbennett New Member

I think its still the right one. When i first start my car, the guage goes off the scal (well over 5) like it should then settles down when it warms up. It jsut means you cant tell the presure when the car first starts.

14. mbradbrook Forum Member

Looks as though i need the proper 0-5 bar sender to match the gauge. My Corrado has got a 0-10bar gauge and sender which i know is working properly so i tried using the 0-5bar gauge on it. Sure enough when the engine is producing 2 bar oil pressure the 0-5 gauge hows 4 bar which thinking about seems logical. B****cks!

So i now need to find a 0-5bar sender with a 0.25bar switch (low oil pressure switch on the head) or one from an Audi 80 with the 1.8bar switch to use on the oil filter housing. Does anyone know where i can buy one from as i don't know of any audi breakers yards.

Matt