Velvet Revolver (AKA the rest of GnR)

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nordoff, May 30, 2004.

1. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Anyone else seen there new vid slither?
    For anyone who isn't in the know velvet revolver is slash, duff and matt sorum from Guns N Roses and a few other guys.

The sound is similar to slash's snakepit.
    The album's out on the 8th of june.
    http://www.velvetrevolver.net/home/home.asp
    They've also done a decent version of a pimk floyd song (money)

2. scottmk1 Forum Member

yeah ive seen the video for slither. the singer is scott wieland (sp?) from The Stone Temple Pilots iirc, not sure who the other guitarist is tho?

3. GajMk1 Forum Member

I thought Scott Wieland was in the slammer?

4. scottmk1 Forum Member

well i know he got arrested for drug driving, i thought he got a rehab thing to do instead of jail? the other guitarist is dave kushner from infectious grooves

5. scottmk1 Forum Member

i bought the album today, any one else?

6. Dietrich Forum Member

I'll check it out. :thumbup:

Tom

7. bigpoppa81 Forum Member

yeah i got the new album this is what i think of it

1.suckertrain blues - good opener, class intro, sounds a fair bit like guns n roses meets stone temple pilots (as youd expect), a bit like 'its so easy' or 'right next door to hell'! one of the better vocals on the album as well.

2. do it for the kids - f**king cheesy title! the vocals are quite weak as well too much rock posing from weiland

3. big machine - i like it, simple rock tune, heavy, a bit like ac/dcs earlier stuff vocals are OK too. one of slashs less complex solos but still a good un

4. illegal i -VERY janes addiction in the style and chords used. works well as an album track and will be massive live due to slash dusting off the old voice box richie sambora thing!

5. spectacle - melody and vocals is pretty average but slash saves the day with a f**king amazing solo thats up there with his best work on 'illusions', seriously

6. fall to pieces -cheesy power ballad but good all the same its a bit like guns 'yesterdays' but a little slower. november rain style solo, which no doubt slash will be out in the desert for in the video

7. headspace - intro which directly rips 'god save the queen' and then goes on to be a carbon copy of audioslaves 'show me how to live' seriously its just a blatant rip! average song, predictable 'my drug hell' lyrics from weiland

8. superhuman - one of the standout tracks for me, proper funk rhythm, and heavy as f**k on the old fuzzbox from saul. good cos its a little different, its got a sort of prince feel about it!

9. set me free yous already know

10. pleasant acoustic soft rock tune, with a f**king soaring solo from the great man

11. slither yous already know!!

12. dirty lil thing - supposedly about paris hilton! just a rock song really nothing special

13. loving the alien (sometimes) - still undecided about this one, its another slowie, its sort of the white album meets space oddity if you can imagine that! once again great solo

so ive only heard it once no doubt ill change my opinions but thats what i reckon so far. its a solid enough record, it was never gonna be another appetite for destruction or even use your illusion, weiland is pretty limited vocally and spouts off a load of rock cliches. the major plus point has to be slash, who is f**king excellent throughout, this man has nothing to prove, hes one of the worlds best and on top form here. its canny enough anyway its probably better than the audioslave album but not as good as janes addiction strays, id say 7/10, and 10/10 for slash who is f**king fantastic! it just lacks that something, if they maybe had cornell or someone with a really strong voice it would be 8 or 9 out of 10.