Vento Radio problems and spluttering:(

Discussion in 'Jetta/Vento/Bora' started by ryanbob1234, May 30, 2011.

1. ryanbob1234 New Member

Hi guys been looking through this forum lots recently :thumbup:

I Have Bought a vento as my first car and its given me a few fun things to do on it, new starter motor new oil change/filter and more lol

Got two problems,

First to the engine problem, It is spluttering when being driven sometimes it will be fine but every now and again it will splutter like no man's business, Done the obvious changed the sparks the ht leads are reasonably new, dist cap/rotary arm is all good

My dad recons it could be the cables on the ecu have become corroded and its common for my car -_- will investigate it when I change the pollen filter. Just hope its not expensive as im a student and money is beyond tight and spent a far bit on it all ready.

Second problem is, Put a after-market jvc radio in the car as it did come with a alba cd player but it was seriously bad being 4x10w lololol, The problem is when I take the key out of the ignition it kills the power to the radio and it looses it's memory, thankfully I can save the stations to the onboard memory so dont have to scan every time but it looses my configurations in the menus and the clock resets to default?

Any ideas on both would be great![:^(]

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

What engine is it? That would help with diagnosing the engine problem, since they are a couple of common, very simple things depending on what lump it is.

With your stereo; there should be two power feeds; a red and a yellow. I can never remember which is which, but one is a permanent feed that allows it to retain the settings, and the other is an ignition live which powers it up when the key is in.

Which ever way round they are now (ie, red/red - yellow/yellow, or red/yellow - yellow/red) swap them round, and that should solve the problem.

:thumbup:

3. ryanbob1234 New Member

Cool will try swapping the leads over.

sorry forgot to say the engine its a 1.6 abu engine. :)

Just swapped the yellow/red cables over and now it works perfectly thanks!

Just checked the ecu and its as dry as a bone so the cables look fine, Had my mate have a quick look over and he reckons the Ignition leads are the cause of the poblem and need replacing, good thing there's a euro parts shop near my house

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  4. ryanbob1234 New Member

Anyone got anyidea's why is spitting every now and again?