Vernier pulley Adjustment & cam queries

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jono395, Nov 2, 2008.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just fit the pulley set to 0, then it'll be like a stock VAG pulley. Confirm it with the old one laid on top, and transfer any marks over if the vfernier is missing any. I found mine didnt have the mark on the outside face as per later pullies, so I put a bit o tipex on it.

2. thegave Forum Member

Holy thread revival, Batman!

For once I decided to do some searching before making a new topic and it paid off.

So, another vernier question.

I read in another thread that all it simply does is shift power on the cam up or down the rev range?

If that's true, and lumpy cams lose more low-end power the hairier they get, then does it make sense to shift power further down the rev range to compensate? Which direction would that be, advancing or retarding?

When I took my car for a power tune up the RR tech told me the cam loved advance and I think he set it to max advance on the vernier and it ran pretty well, except it overfuelled a lot which he said was due to the carb.

I then took it somewhere else to get the carb setup and they said the previous guy had made a right mess of it (mixed up fuel and idle jets and switched emulsion tubes) and advancing cam timing was the wrong way to go...

After I'd had the carbs sorted out it ran a lot flatter than it did before so I tried advancing ignition timing which helped and then I thought I'd try and play with the vernier again so I put 2' of advance on it and it really ironed out the flatness at the beginning of each gear. Now I want to advance the pulley all the way again but is that going to harm the engine?

0' on the Vernier was properly aligned with the standard pulley.

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

nope it doesn't move the power like you said, a cam change does that.

when mine was used on a rr it just enabled it to be set it up / fine tuned in-between the standard teeth marks.

4. thegave Forum Member

What does that actually do though? What's the effect of changing cam timing?

Another thing the guys who did the carb said was the vernier is only for fine tuning maybe 2' max. Does that then mean I shouldn't use it to advance 3 or 4', which is the max on the pulley?

Oh, here's my dumb question of the day: Is turning the block over by hand the only way to adjust the pulley?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009