very lucky escape on the M20

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by lufbramatt, Apr 30, 2008.

1. lufbramatt Forum Member

me and the girlfriend were coming back along the M20 on saturday after driving to horsham to pick up a brand new bonnet (ebay bargain woo :)) for the B3, we had just been talking about motorway driving, having blowouts etc as jodie is getting ready for her driving test . . . anyway about 5 mins after i get back on the M20, i was in the fast lane when i see a red astra sideways in the middle lane, in front of me, loads of smoke as he careers over to the lane i was in straight into the crash barrier. The car span round and came to a halt directly in front of me.

Strangely my immediate though was "**** im gonna need a new car" and somehow i managed to stop the B3 with about 2 meters to spare- looked in my mirrors and to my suprize the guy in the Saab behind me had also managed to stop without hitting me. RESULT.

where the cars ended up:

[​IMG]

looking back up the motorway, can see where he hit the barrier the first time and his front bumper on the other carriageway:

[​IMG]

police were excellent and got the road open again fast, but the driver ran off! disappeared across the fields, think he was either drunk or the car was stolen! :?

but at least everyone was ok, and maybe B3 brakes arnt as bad as i thought hehe

all the traffic pretty much stopped on the inside two lanes and was creeping past on th inside as there was debris all over the road, didnt know wether to stay in the car and risk being in the car if it got hit or get out and see whats coming, police got there really fast and closed the road off so we could get over to the hard shoulder. what you cant see in the pics was the 2 cars that stopped ehind me, then the paramedic car (although noone was hurt) stopped a bit further back (can see it in 2nd pic) to divert the cars out of the fast lane.

was a proper weird feeling though being stood on the fast lane of the m20.

funny thing was when they dragged the astra over to the hard shoulder, basically the whole left side of the car was crushed from where it hit the barrier the first time, they just put a rope round the bumper iron and dragged it accross the road! much scrapeage hehe

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thank god for the ABF eh? [:D]

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

crikey lucky escape!!! glad no one is hurt.

has it put your girlfriends off? lol

4. Spacemonkey Forum Member

Lucky bar steward.

5. lufbramatt Forum Member

that ones the 8v one, i think it was the immense torque that stopped me in time, through engine braking :lol:

the ABF one is in the process of being stripped, but am looking forward to getting the 288mm brakes off it!

nah shes ok, had a driving lesson today and was fine so all good :)

6. joebensted New Member

i was impressed by the brakes in a b3 when my dad decided to do an emergancy stop in a yaris in from of me in a tiny car with abs... and i'm in a massive essate without abs.... i was taking it to the scrappers!

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Or should that be ABS? :lol:

Glad to hear you`re OK. New underpants required I take it...

8. lufbramatt Forum Member

cheers. . . although it hasnt got ABS either :) thank god it was a warm sunny day!

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

did it help to dry out your pants?

10. lufbramatt Forum Member

haha no, i ment it wasnt raining, if it hadve been raining theres no way the wagon wouldve pulled up in time with its ditchfinder el cheapo tyres on it!

11. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

dam thats a close call!!!

12. ev nutter Forum Member

that wasnt the only skid mark weve seen he he
    glad the vee dub surived it would have been a tragedy oh and hope your ok[:D]

13. yonner Forum Member

if that had just hapened to me i would have went a bought a lottery tkt

14. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

was the **** tra driver on the phone? or just decide to swerve...
    nearly hit a van the other day that was swerving across 2 lanes.

15. lufbramatt Forum Member

really not sure- i think he was drunk, as he looked really out of it when he got out of the car, thought it was kinda normal considering hed just walked away from a 70+mph crash, but then when he saw we were on the fone to the police he did a runner and legged it over the fields, police helicopter was out and everything.

The policeman foned me up a few days after the crash and told me hed been caught and arrested for "various offences" and asked me if i'd seen any heavy objects in his pockets? which i can only assume meant a bottle of scotch or something.

I dont think he had a blow out or anything as he spun the wrong way- both the offside tyres were still inflated.

16. neil kaye Forum Junkie

must have been pi ssed to nick a vauxhall i mean who would drive one sober for god sake!!