vibe active sub stopped working

Discussion in 'ICE' started by farquare, Feb 17, 2007.

1. farquare Forum Member

hello, i've had a vibe 10" active sub in my car for a few years and recently it stopped working.

it has an external 25a fuse which had blown but when i put a new one in it just blows too.
    so the question is has anybody had eny experience of these amp boards.

i have a rudimentary electronics knowledge, i took the pcb out but there was no obvious signs of a short or a burn out component.

I've had a look on the new for the wireing diagrams but no luck so far, and its really starting to annoy me not having a decent stereo in the car.
    so is this worth the hassle of trying to fix or do you think its reached the end of its useful life?

thanks in advance
    richey

2. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Northampton in a village in the middle of nowhere
    Could it be possible that you've got a nackred wire somewher and its touching something that it shouldnt causing it to blow fuses??

Is this one of the ones with the built in amps??

3. farquare Forum Member

yeah its the one with the built in apm (cbra100) i think.

traced the wires, dot think there is any problem there, they are just routed straight through the bulkhead then along the sills so there is little to go wrong there, although i'l check again as a matter of course.

4. MrDubmeister Forum Member

Northampton in a village in the middle of nowhere
    See its funny that you say its been fine for years and has now out of the blue blown a fuse, you replaced it and it blew it again. I wouldnt THINK that it would be the amp just gone after x amount of troublefree years, Vibe stuff tends to be pretty good.

Definitly double check the live and make sure you have a good earth to the chassis.

The only time ive blown a fuse on my american legacy amp is when i whent round a corner too fast, the amp slid ripped the live wire out and it touched the chrome case and blew the fuses on it.

5. farquare Forum Member

i have put 5 fuses in it and it blew them all,
    like i say i visually inspected the cable and it seemed okay, but will check again.
    is there any way i can use a multi meter on the live feed to get a definitive reading, i'l also clean up the earth to the chassis and try it agin.

I know the vibe stuff gets a good rep and tends to last - but was wondering if years of condensation and vibration would finally take theit toll on the PCB.
    thanks for the reply

6. farquare Forum Member

checked all the wires again at the weekend and it seems to all be in order.
    Still blowing fuses though.
    Any ideas?

7. golf2 Forum Member