Viva la small bumper revolution!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by theboymike, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

:thumbup:
    "Some things are best left alone".

2. paulyb Forum Member

have had both, and like must people if either is done right they each suit the shape of the car. What was the result of the last similar debate;)

3. KEV

Kev Forum Member

Whatever the car is born with.....
    88 reg with big bumpers doesn't look nice imo

4. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

When I ever get a lockup sorted the small bumpers are going on my '88, along with 15" bbs rims, original mirrors and a 40mm drop.

The car looks lighter and more nimble (no not the bread) with smalls on I reckon.

5. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Both work well but small wins.

6. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Both look good.

90 spec on earlier cars only works if side trims and arches are done too. Can't stand big bumpers with pre 90 side trim - yuk.

When small bumpers are done right - like on Stu's, they look awesome imo.

7. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Big or small?

Well my 1991 J plate gti in Alpine White came with big bumpers as standard and I do like the clean look of it, however my girlfriends 1989 G reg gti also in Alpine White came with small bumpers as standard and I really love them!!:lol:

If her car was as tidy and clean as mine with decent alloys (BBS or maybe Estorils) then I think I would prefer the look of hers! Hate the wide side trim on her car though!!:lol:

Incidentally, I asked her what she thought and she said she hadn't really noticed any difference[:s]:lol::lol::lol:

[​IMG]

8. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Couldn't agree more Stu... :thumbup:

That MK2 in PVW is one of the best ive seen, not too keen on the smooth boot, but its a stunner... :thumbup:

I do like small bumpers, was thinking of doing it to mine, but have now decided to stick with the big bumper look -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

You need the 90 spec arches though Rich, I might have a set of side skirts lying around if you can't find any.

10. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

They are exactly the same as the 8v GTi ones :thumbup: -

[​IMG]

I dont really want the 90 spec thin door strips which match up to the 90 spec arches...

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That is a very clean small bumper car. :thumbup:

90 spec big bumper arches for front have a provision for the front chin spoiler to connect to them. They do not stop short as in small bumper items. Can be spotted a mile away when done like this making the bumper look like an after thought. However to each his own.

12. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Early GTi ones...

I'm glad my car came with the full 90 spec trim on it otherwise I would of spent ages finding it all to swap it on. Prefer it to the early stuff big time.

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I just went to buy PVW just for that feature. Decided against it though due to the photos. All black and white and bluury. If the pics were proper photos i'd have bought it and spunked all over it.

Does anyone know of any proper pictures of it?
    [​IMG]

14. tomsdubs Forum Member

Small bumpers are for pansies

15. theboymike Forum Junkie

Motor in PVW looks tidy, but yours still looks mint with the small bumpers [8D]

I agree.. although I wish people would leave earlier cars alone and just buy a later car if they want the later kit.

And retro-fitted big bumpers are for chavs and nonces - might as well have Gary Glitter airbrushed on the bonnet tbh :thumbup:

16. smp1987 Forum Member

Yes well put Mike! small bumpers originally on the mk2 golf, and were on for years longer then the big bumpers and TBH give it a better look!

17. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

Mine was made with small so small it is and I would not want big ones on my car. I might be a boring old fart, but I think they look better with what they were made with but each to their own.

Boring hahaha yes, now going to cut up a bucket of horse carrots for the morning but it makes my Arab mares smile.

18. HVJGolf32 New Member

ive got mine on big bumpers at the moment. was the work of the previous owner. They look good even though they dont fit 100% but the muppet never upgraded the side strips so together they look pritty rubbish.

Its always bothering me in the back of my mind knowing the car doesnt stand how its made so im always thinking of 'upgrading' it back to small bumper.

i have to say though if i did i would Love it to have the look of yours StuMc.

is it rude to ask where you can source a grill like that with the all round red strip? i can mainly find just chavy carbon fibre look ones.

19. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

My first golf had small bumpers and the big bumpers never really grow on me, unfourtnatly I keep buying golfs with big bumpers. need to start saving for some small ones now

20. colly New Member

Wee bumpers rule! :thumbup: