vr obd1 wierd things happening can anyone help

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by powernut, Aug 17, 2010.

1. powernut Forum Member

wish id never started this stock loom idea ,ill try to explain best i can,,
    first i have full obd1 stock loom , (ive checked every pin of the ecu to the other half of the engine loom , for dead or shorted wires , all of what ive checked seem correct,

ive a remap turbo tunie which runs perfect on the same obd1 loom on my mates car ,but not on mine,

ive replaced , cam sensor/crank sensor/coilpack,amp/maf,idiol control valve,tps
    3ecus,water temp sensor/lamda sensor /feul relay/ecu relay/lamda relay , i can only assume a wireing problem some were , as ive tryed checking , earths/lives/switched lives and all seem correct,

engines starts up and drives, if i cruise at 2000rpm underload its fine , soon as i cruise at any rpm its sudernly goes learn for a few seconds then afr gauge will steady pull back around 14.7 , (mostly dose this if say im going down hill with accelerator pedal off , ) soon as i touch the pedal for gas it instantly goes learn before richerning up ,also to add if im de accelerating down hill then dip the clutch it will instantly stail , soon as i bump the car while moveing it will back fire and run ok for a while, also intermitanty at junctions

second problem my lamda relay clicks again mostly around 2000rpm when accelerating , around 2/3 clicks also chicks around /7times from cold start up , i just carnt understand why [:^(], if anyone can help /advise id be very greatfull
    :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. gunit-84 Forum Member

Sounds like a lamda fault, but on the control side I would say. Must be a wireing problem if all good on another car.

3. powernut Forum Member

ive looked on auto data and theres something called lamda control module(shown as a60?) some years have this but ive not a clue what it is , and other obd1 is only showning a n0/53 lamda relay , anyone up on this ,as i carnt find any correct info , ive checked the wireing of the 4 pin lamda relay and they look to be wired correct ,
    came from a 1994 OBD1 Corrado VR6

4. gunit-84 Forum Member

Arnt there two different relay numbers for vr6s? Have you tried both types? You might be onto somethin with the lambda control.

5. powernut Forum Member

ive tryed asorted no53 relays makes no differnce any idea what others there are pal and what a a60 is on auto data as it dosent go into detail what the buggar or what it looks like

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

lambda control relay is just a 53 relay, some models have it some do not. check the lambda probe plug, should see 12v across the red/white and brown/black wires. if not, the relay isnt powering up for some reason

7. powernut Forum Member

i wonderd when jonny was going to pop up lol , right im tinkering as we speak , yes the red/white has 12v so has the brown/black , , yet found if i rev the engine lamda relay starts clicking 2/3 clicks, then stops while idioling in a fashion , dose the same if im driving too ,,[:^(] ive also changed the probe and no 3 relay jonny , made no differnce , thing is theres only 4 wires from the lamda socket
    ps jonny ive tryed 3 differnert ecus , bk/cp makes no differnce

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. rubjonny

hmm, seems its loosing power somehow. the relay should get a red/blue switched live feed from the ecu relay 109, might be an idea to replace that if you haven't already. the main power input red/yellow wire comes from the fuel pump relay, and its earthed to the ecu via the white wire. output to lambda is the red/white.

9. powernut Forum Member

yearh seems either loseing power or resetting , only dose this when i rev the engine , bloody strange tbh , i have tempory tryed another 109 ecu relay also found some vr use a no 30 relay , unsure if that makes any differnce ill order a grey new 109 from dealer around sixteen quid ,ill have a check over the other wires as im not quite with u , without a possible daigram to check , if u have on hanging around jonny ,
    i can see lamda wires black/yellow/white , i know the re/yellow also contects to the lamda relay here , (ps this is wired into a mk1 jonny so i had to use a relay so when i crank i could have constant live when cranking

10. rubjonny

11. powernut Forum Member

12. powernut Forum Member

checked with muiltimeter on volts set on 20
    pin1 redwhite 11.9five v
    pin2 brown 0.00 earth
    pin3 yellow 0.10
    pin4 white shows 0.five 2 (numbers knackerd on keyboard lol)

13. rubjonny

what pins on the relay do these correspond to? (e.g. pin 30, 85 etc) is this with relay in socket you're checking

14. powernut Forum Member

these were the lamda socket pins 1/2/3/4 not the lamda relay socket , (which sould show the same , i just earthed multimeter and switched igition on and tested each of the 4 pins, ill go plug lamda back in and get another set from the lamda relay
    right lamda relay check with igition on
    lamba relay
    white pin 86 /0.07 volt
    redwhite pin 87/ 11.39 volt
    red/blue pin 85/ 11.6 volts
    red/yellow pin30 /11.39 volts

engine runing
    it something with the white lamda relay wire pin 86 and red/white pin 87 of relay , i put muiltmetre accross 86/87 of the relay and werid voltage drop is occureing ie 13.6 /-7.0 up and down , so i sniped the thin white pin 86 and now no clicking and pin 87 showing voltage constant ,
    dose this make any sense jonny

15. rubjonny

right, looks like the vr6 lambda relay is different to the usual 53 relay? this is how the 53 relay should be wired:
    30 - power input from fuel pump relay - red/yellow
    85 - earth from ecu (or just earth to chassis, makes no difference) - white
    86 - trigger live feed from ecu relay (or just run an ign live to it) - red/blue
    87 - output to lambda probe - red/white

16. powernut Forum Member

right this is instresting jonny,
    right i know the lamda wireing plug hasnt been removed from the stock loom just a power added to pin 30 red/yellow for alive to make it run
    should it be a differnert relay in here jonny,, ie what relay no do i need ,or do i cut the lamda plug off and rewire to the above u meationed jonny
    pslooking onn thelamda socket it has asorted numbers , as i matched the no35 to the socket colours if ur with me

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  17. rubjonny

it seems yeah the vr6 used a different relay. what i would do is use a thin screwdriver to release the pins on the relay socket, then swap over and pop back in as per my list above :)
    just 85 and 86 that need swapping over

18. powernut Forum Member

right ill go rewire the snipped white wire and remove swop the too pins around jonny be 1mins to report back :lol:
    choped swoped the pins around on the lamda socket hasnt made any differnce jonny , still clicks on/off for a while [:^(]

19. rubjonny

right, next thing is to monitor the pins 30 and 86 with a multimeter when the relay starts clicking, to determine which one is causing the issue. Also check pin 85 for continuity to earth, so somewhere on the chassis.

20. powernut Forum Member