VR6 Assistance and advice!

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by j4cko56, Feb 14, 2015.

1. j4cko56 New Member

Need your help people! First of all i need to decide what VR6/R32 i want to use, just the engine, management etc is no problem as i will be going stand alone anyway. For some reason i thought the original 2.8 was a 4 valve engine, no idea why! But i do know that there are 24v 2.8 engines! I'm going to be putting a turbo on said engine, a single T3. I take it the manifolds will be vastly different between the 12v and 24v engines? Because the R32 manifolds all seem to come as a pair of manifolds for twin turbo, not a single turbo, which makes me think a 24v 2.8 would have to use those twin turbo manifolds, am I right?

I also need help finding a bell housing for an 02M. I'm putting 4 motion into my Mk1 (yes I'm insane before you ask)! I have all the running gear from a 1.8T 225 TT which obviously will not fit the VR. I need to get a bellhousing from the VR 02M box and swap it over to mount it. Are the 2 and 4wd bell housings the same? If so (or if not) where can i find one?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Jack

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

12v and 24v manifolds are different. For sure.

vrbanana might be able to give more light on this.

3. j4cko56 New Member

I thought as much! I've sent him a message, can you tag people on this thread?

Jack

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I made him aware.

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

There are 2.8 12v, 2.9 12v, 2.8 24v and 3.2 24v engines.

Standard they all come with a pair of manifold that join via a downpipe.

6. j4cko56 New Member

Yes I know I'm on about turbo manifolds, I've found single ones for both so thats ok, its just mating my gearbox to the VR!

7. RBPE Forum Member

Best cast ones would be SPA Turbo or Rothe Manifold - you can see the flange differences on the net easy enough. T3 0.82AR - I would go GT(X)35R or you can get an EFR for the same price or less - 7670 or my choice would be 8374.