vr6 conversion. urgent info needed!

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Blue MK2, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Hello nerds :lol:

Can i have some info on a vr6 lump as my mate has blown his 8v digifant in his mk2 and has the chance of getting a vr6 lump but how much work is involved and what does he need

VibraTech front engine mount
    Custom downpipe maybe?

How hard is this conversion? Fitting and wiring up?

cheers

2. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

first things first...

is it 90 spec with CE2 wiring?

Once oyu know that, u know whether its worth doing for little work...

after that if it is C" its pretty much plug and play, have a search around plenty of info about on the site tbh!

3. Blue MK2 Forum Member

yes its a 90 spec mate. hazard switch near the steering wheel :)

4. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yup on the steering colum!

Good stuff... right just search for info on here, tons of it...or speak to deako who did it recently..orrr veedubber i think it was...

5. thebluebus Forum Junkie

deako has helped me loads so far. I'll help if i can, but i've already confessed to being mechanically retarded so i'm kind of making it up as i go along. Not too difficult so far though

6. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Here is a very rough, quickly written guide i did ages ago. So don't shout me down in flames if it doesn't answer everything!

For starters go to www.vwvortex.com site. they have a good forum with links and help there. Look in the hybrid swap forum and the 12v VR6 section.

Also use www.futrellautowerks.com/...9clvr6.htm it tells you everything in a step by step guide. It might be done by an american, but it is still very helpfull, and gives you a good idea of what you want/need etc.

You need a mk3/corrado/seat subframe to sit the VR6 and gearbox in. You can use either the VR6plus suspension set up-- with the VR wishbones etc, or just bolt on the mk2 wishbones. All mk3 VR stuff gives the car a wider track if used.

The 2 set up are:

1. Mk3 subframe, with mk2 wishbones, 8v gti driveshafts and G60 brakes-- this lets you stay with a 4 stud wheel pattern with 280mm discs.

2. The "plus" suspension setup. Which is everything of the mk3, the subframe, ARB, Wishbones, suspension, Drives shafts, VR brakes. It makes the track of the car slightly wider, and meas you have to use a 5 stud wheel, using 288mm discs.

Both 8v and 16v fuel pumps are fine--- the fueling system is sufficient without having to change it. Also when it comes to the wiring it is made 3 times easier if you run a 90spec mk2-- central electric--- You have this if you have your hazard light on the steering rack and not the dash.

For the clutch you can either use the hydraulic clutch system. This needs you to change the pedal box-- use from a passat or corrado (they are the same, its cheaper to get one out of the passat from a scrapyard than it is a corrado!!). This involves slight flattening of a small part of the bulkhead to get that to fit.
    Or you can use a seat ibiza clutch mechanism-- cable operated, that bolts straight to the gearbox then to the pedal box.

Also the driver side chasis leg needs a slight dent to help clear the big phemonic balancer wheel on the VR.

You can use the VR corrado radiator-- which looks neater, or the transporter radiator. The VR expansion tank is needed. don't use any of the mk2 stuff for the coolant. Do it properly the first time round

If you are using a newer style VR engine-- you need the keys, as they have a built in immobiliser system that works with the ECU-- its not to complicated to fit-- and worth it in the end-- safety issues!!!

You want a VR6 decat pipe also, the cat slows you down-- and you need to still be running the lambda sensor. All original gti aftermarket exhaust systems will still mate to the engine no problem.
    My VR was mated up to my jetex from the decat pipe without any problems

Power steering is needed to- as its one heavy lump-- without it can make driving the car at low speeds very hard.
    You want atleast 15" wheels so the 280mm brakes will fit under them.
    And once the VR is in-- sort the handling out properly with a full set of polybushes through out the car, uprated ARB's and strutbraces-- and a good suspension kit with uprated strut top mounts.

Suspension ideally wants to be some good coilovers with atleast VR6 mk3 or corrado weight springs in them to take the extra wait. Heavier poundage spring can be made up for not a lot of money by quite a few companies-- it all depends on how stiff you want it.

Also an uprated front Engine mount is needed idealy, as the torque form the engine will cause it to rock and hit the bonnet if the mount isn't strong enough. Vibratechnics make one especially for the mk2 VR6 conversion.

In all honesty-- if you do your research-- read up on it well, and are fairly competant at mechanics etc then do the conversion yourself. When you get down to it, its isn't the hardest thing to do. And it will save you a 1000--1500 if done yourself

if non of this makes sense-- its because i have just got up, and haven't reread through it-- so oops (just incase)

ENGINE info

You can get either

AAA is 2792cc,

ABV is 2861cc

the ABV has a different intake manifold and throttle body, different ECU mat, altho the ECU's are the same, it also has an 82mm bore as opposed to the 81mm of the 2.8

The engine number can be found on the right hand back corner as u look at the engine.

7. thebluebus Forum Junkie

8. Rob119 New Member

the vr6 is comin out of a n reg model if thats any help but im convinced it will fit

9. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

u won't have any problems ;)

10. thebluebus Forum Junkie

N reg won't have the imobiliser either i think so thats a few less wires to deal with :lol:

11. Rob119 New Member

Right i got on the phone ot a guy i no who does conversions n basically i think he filled me full of pooe as i have been told by you lot on here and other people it will go straight in he told me i shud

seam weld bay n stuff every inch
    get a jumper harness
    princess 4 pot brakes
    stainless exhaust tunnel
    subframes
    g60 mounts
    summat to do with driveshafts aswell
    basically he said i have to reinforce my shell
    and bay and get engine as far back in bay as possible

but i dont believe him
    so i think me n few m8s are gonna have a crack at it

12. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

What that Guy told you is poooooh! :lol:

Gofor it! its not too hard at all!!!!

13. Rob119 New Member

right folks ive started this conversion got the engine sat at home just changed the bushes to poly ones put my arms in the vr frame but i cant seem to bolt it up to the car now?
    bolts seem to short do i need longer ones or summat

14. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

never heard such a load of cr@p
    who the hell told you that ?????

15. thebluebus Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: thats great! :lol: :lol:

16. Rob119 New Member

lol just someone trying to get money out of me

but anyway about these bolts lol
    do i need longer ones i can bolt front of subframe up
    but not the rear

any1 got ictures and sizes of these bolts to make sure
    i am using the correct ones

17. VR6Will Forum Member

the are the same....i can look on etka for the correct sizes, but not till later, are you using the longer bolts in the front of the subframe or rear?

18. Rob119 New Member

longer at rear

when i put the bolt through the bush to start screweing in they is hardly nothing there to go into the body

short at front

19. Rob119 New Member

sorted it out now metal was bit out of shape when i was puttin arms in all straight now and bolted up

20. Rob119 New Member

another question lol

does the vr steering rack fit ok as i broke gti one i think
    and whats the grip like when finished

i been told it will wheelspin quite a bit