VR6 crank no start

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Mk!, Dec 12, 2023.

1. MK!

Mk! New Member

The ol crank no start lol! I went to start it up after a year off the road (turbo build) and of course it didn’t fire up. The issue seems to be the ÉCU is inactive; the ignition chimes when switched on but no fuelling or spark. After a few wiring checks I found two pins (56&7) which share a common earth point had a switched voltage. Does anyone know where ground point 138 is?

All engine connectors are plugged in, but nothing in the cabin. Fuel pump activated when earthed at pin 6. Battery is also in good health.

I’m desperate to get this fired up so any help would be much appreciated. The setup is a mk3 vr6 96

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Make sure the front knock sensor hasn't been plugged into the crank sensor plug, tney are the same.

Any chance you have VCDS or whatever to check for codes and rpm signal on crank?

3. MK!

Mk! New Member

Both are connected to correct connector but I’ll definitely check again. The obd port has never functioned since I bought the car, I’ll repair it this weekend.

The grounds @ 56&7 see half a volt less than battery voltage. I checked and cleaned all grounds (engine bay, dash, rear lights) and no voltage was found, am I missing a ground?

Strangely the fuel pump primed/activated for the first time post cranking? After many failed attempts. It’s not the biggest win or a start but it’s something LOL.