VR6 exhaust diameters

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G-Man, Feb 20, 2010.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

What is the best diameter exhaust for a fairly stock'ish 2.8 vr6?

I know the Corrado has a slightly larger diameter according to some than the mk3 2.8 vr6.

Currently have various pipe diameter's but looking at possibly a continus 2.5" straight through exhaust with just the rear silencer, but will that still have enough back pressure so I don't end up with a performance drop?

2. 12valver Forum Member

I personally think that will be too loud with just the one silencer.

Mine ran a de-cat, small briefcase silencer and the back box and it was loud! I can't remember if mine is 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" pipe. Funny feeling it is 2 1/2" but in my application the engine has been breathed on and it is not used much on the road.

HTH

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Cheers; looks like i've got the back box silencer, mid silencer and a decat with a resonator, but as its all welded on and I have a miltek decat, i was just going to get it all done straight but heard some straight through on youtubes that sound awful and ruin the vr6 tone.

Found supersprint make a middle pipe straight section for the mk2 gti 16v which is what i want but not if its only a 2"

4. paultownsend Forum Member

i 'thought' the general wisdom was that 2.25" was the best diameter for the vr6 block?
    im seriously considering a swop in my mk2 from abf to vr6. and il be going this diameer with de-cat and 3 box system (supersprint)

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

But the problem i'm having is finding out which systems are 2.5" as I know supersprint do some great replacement parts for the individual sections for the mk2 golf gti 16v but not sure if their stock 16v bore or are larger at 2.5"?

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

on the mk3, the original vr6 exhaust was 55mm id

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

Powerflow just got back to me and said that a catback system 2.5" would be 30 over a 2.25" but said their fabricator recommends a 2.25" system? I did tell them I had a vr6 too and would like a 2.5". Anyone else confirm that is a true feeling about the exhausts on a VR6?

A thread on Vortex claims a corrado uses a 2.36" system whilst a golf uses a 2.25".

Also just sent superspring an e-mail asking them to confirm their aftermarket pipe diameters as I've got a back box already.

Whilst I won't be going down the forced induction route, my miltek de-cat i picked up has a pipe diameter of 2.13" (53.98mm) whilst miltek also use a cat back system of 2.25"?

Just to add what is the stock mk2 gti 16v exhaust diameter?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have a supersprint vr6 system on my 16v, thats 55mm

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah VR6 and 16v systems 'apparently' are the same on the mk3 according to some sites, but wasn't sure if the mk2 16v uses 55mm too

10. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Is the system to fit a Mk2?

I've got a Supersprint Group A system on my Mk2 which is 60mm bore, you can get a straight through middle pipe or with a silencer. It is bloody loud though!

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

It is to fit the mk2 :thumbup:

Those pipes are the EXACT one's i've just e-mailed supersprint in regards to the bore.

I want straight through to just the rear box - a bit loud but the car is a summer car and for having fun in rather.

12. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

It's a good system, quite cheap as well when you get the straight through pipe, think mine was 170 delivered, but I did buy it about 7 years ago.

With regards to the diameter, I've seen it labelled as 60mm and 2.5", but that can't be right as 60mm is 2.36". When I measured the tailpipe, which is the same bore as the whole system, it was closer to 2.5"

The other thing to consider is the fitment of it. Because it's a racing system the bend over the rear axle is alot straighter than your normal exhaust system. When I had it fitted I had to get the the bend modified to clear the axle, but then the car was and still is quite low.

It would sound awesome hooked upto a VR6. It sounds mental on my 1.8 carb, you have to almost shout to be heard at idle, there's no chance of trying to talk when it's on full chat. But suprisingly it only measured 93db at Combe, thought it was going to be louder.

13. G-Man Forum Junkie

So so tempted; priced up the midle and centre sections and coming in dirt cheap.

Going to bite the bullet tonight and order them in this weekend i think and see how it connects to my current rear box (magnex I think?) Will disconnect it all and see current diameters of the current pipes.

Will have a think as the VR6 is currently sounding sweet but fancy getting rid of the boxes for the full on noise!

I'll keep an eye for the rear axle bend; how much bending was needed?

14. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

It wasn't a great deal, it was more to do with the fact that I had it stupidly low. I'm sure running at a more conservative ride height and playing about with exhaust hangers, etc, you wouldn't need to modify it.

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

Cheers for the help and advice; both sections can be had cheap but don't want to make the vr6 sound too loud that people might mistake me for a ricer.

16. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Did you find out how much the middle box is? Part number 322602? That'll help with the noise, not sure by how much though.

Might be worth asking if they know of the db of the systems with and without the middle box?

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Middle and Centre I can get brand new for around 115 posted so cheap :)

Centre straight pipe is 39 and middle straight bit (bent/curved pipe) is 59.

I know a full straight through (i.e. no rear box silencer) sounds awful on a VR6.

Worse case scenario is I put my middle silencer back on; just have to wait till pay day and see what the shop say