VR6 Learned values not saving

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by MrP, May 27, 2013.

1. MrP

MrP Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

Long story short yesterday when I was playing about I dropped a spanner and it shorted the two battery terminals. As far as I'm aware it's done no damage...

I've had it on VAGCOM and there are no faults, everything seems fine; but should the ECU remember the learned values within vagcom. Such as the lambda idle learned value or should it be reset with the ignition?

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

the idle learnt values are re set if the battery is removed, and may even on clearing the fault memory on some models. to re learn those you'll need to drive it. those values gives the result of both on idle & driving whether the fuel had to be trimmed (fixed) as a result of the lambda values 10% -/+ is normal

3. MrP

Thanks for the response :)

Well, I've had the car idling and it placed a value in the Lambda idle learned value, but as soon as the ignition was switched off and then on the value was reset to zero. Which is my concern.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm maybe permanent live feed to ecu is missing? it runs to g2/9 or Y spade depending on age of car. see my sig for the pre/post 95 vr6 wiring diagrams anyway :)

5. MrP

Thanks for that rubjohnny.

I've checked those feeds and they are indeed a permanent live.

I've checked the ECU loom pins and the ones which are live are:

Pin 2, 3, 4, 24, 25, 26 - all are the injectors.

And pin 54 - which is battery power.

Looking at the wiring diagrams that's what should be permanent live. I believe?

So where do I go from here?

I'm just concerned I've shorted something when I crossed the battery terminals by mistake as the problem didn't occurs till then.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

maybe the ecu is damaged internally due to that short, but i would say its unlikely.

it could be though as crispy said that you actually have to drive it before it will start learning new values properly, perhaps havign it idling for a bit isnt enough!