VR6 MOT Emission Failure

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by crasherkid29, Sep 12, 2007.

1. crasherkid29 New Member

The exhaust fumes smell heavily of petrol, and I'm not taking the pi*s when I say that...

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well then go and fix whatever the problem is.

do some searches on here to find out what the likely issue is (borked sensor, damaged loom wiring, dead vac hose etc) and fix it

you wont need to remap the stupid car as i dont imagine VW would have let thousands of VR6s out the factory with a dodgy map that didnt allow it to meet local emmssions tests.

3. crasherkid29 New Member

Will do, just need to get an idea of what it might be so I can have a go myself...

Cheers for the help

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

like i said, do some searches on here. someone along the way must have had it, prolly an easy fix

5. crasherkid29 New Member

Thanks chaps, finally got it through its MOT....

The ECU has been re-mapped at some point, but I did manage to find a spot on car sparks that was sh*t hot on diagnostics...

There was a leak in one of the vacuum hoses, I replaced that.

The guy said the MAF sensor and LAMBDA sensor were knacked.
    I got hold of an MAF sensor from Dubshackcoventry.co.uk and he did the rest, flew threw the MOT in the end, although he had to fit a new shape focus lambda sensor as the VW one didnt work right. I forgot what he said, but it involved soemthing to do with a blowtorch...

Have brought myself VAGcom so will hopefully be doing the work myself now...

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ta daaaaa. this board will generally fix anything for you

7. Admin Guest

where are you based cos if near me i can come and do the emissions for you with my g'tester. has to 3.5ppmco2