VR6 Oil Cooler & Catch Can

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by mat-mk3, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

These are a couple of things suggested to me i need for building a VR6 track car

The oil cooler i can understand. I would say i need a 19 row with the longer bolt and then a sandwich plate with a thermostat so that it only kicks the mocal in at certian temps? Have i got that right?

And with the catch tank, I cant see many people installing these on VR6's. Do they require one? Where would i connect to as its just a mass of pipes everywhere!

Cheers
    Mat

2. craggsy Forum Member

13 row will be enough as you will over cool the oil on the road with a 19 row. Unless its just for a track only car

3. Whittle Forum Member

No thats not the case, Get the biggest oil cooler you can realistically fit. Just make sure you get the sandwich plate which has a thermostat. the thermostat keeps it from 'over cooling'

4. craggsy Forum Member

I beg to differ there. I know people who have gone from 19 to 13 row as oil never got upto operating temp at all, all on VR6s

5. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

i agree with the above... had read it many times on many threads...

have a look on the R32OC or VR6OC you will find the say the same

6. Whittle Forum Member

^ok fair enough!

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Did you not install one of these in your old MK3 VR6K back in the days as well?

8. Toyotec

That is because they do not breathe heavy as say a valver. My 150K mile anchor thing spins to 6900rpm and even though there is a very slight flim oil in the air duct to throttle it does not seem to cause a problem. Never have smoke. On a recent trip to Austria, on the Autobahn, I had it to sustained speeds of 130-145mph and even at times at 150mph indicated. Still no issue with oil pull up through PCV. IMO not something to bother about.

9. mat-mk3

Good news on the catch tank then, Thanks!

Does anyone know what this pipe is? Looking back though the mag feature it had one of those little K&N filters on it but when i bought it there was a pipe connected to the engine outlet, But it was just hanging there.
    There is an "inlet" on the air pipe that had nothing connected to it so connected them together, However it was a tight fit and didnt seem like they go together.

[​IMG]

10. Toyotec

That the crankcase ventilation pipe. You have an early VR6 engine as evident by the MAF housing. On later post ones like mine w/ 4 wire HFM5 MAF, there is a vacumed controlled PCV valve that is integral with a heated pipe ( not for UK) that is merged into the throttle duct.
    If you leave it to vent the crankcase fumes will enter the car. If you put a little filter in place of the tube, the hot oil flim will drop on the exhaust manifold and leave a burning smell in the cabin.

11. gunit-84 Forum Member

yep, thats were it should fit, any oil vapours are breathed back into the engine and burnt

12. craggsy Forum Member

Yep I had a 13 row in mine with thermo sandwich late and only got oil temps over 100 when on track

13. mat-mk3

Cheers Toyo & Gunnit, I can leave it where it is:thumbup:

The oil cooler wont happen untill after my first track day. Want to see how it performs before i spend any more on it!
    I would keep the factory cooler too so it gets warmer in the mornings as i would like to have it on the road someday!

14. mat-mk3

Oil cooler time!

So 13 or 19 row. How about i go in the middle and get a 16 Row?:lol:

Been on track a few times with it and oil is getting pretty hot.I would say 110ish. Hard to say as im using a VDO gauge. Need to get a t-piece to plug the MFA one back in!

15. craggsy Forum Member

Id still say a 13 row is fine, as I said way back in January

16. oburT6RV Forum Member

For your basic oil requirements on track, a 13 row mocal and Fuchs Titan Race 10W/50 oil (formerly known as Silkolene Pro S) is all you need.

A baffled sump is an optional (but wise) addition and will prevent a good day's tracking ending badly.

If the oil gets a little low on track, rod shells 1 and / or 6 can easily fry. I'd recommend the R32 sump and pump combo as it offers some extra ground clearance aswell as baffling. They don't shatter if struck like people say they do, and I speak from experience.

17. mat-mk3

Does all the above info apply for the 24V engine too?

18. oburT6RV Forum Member

Yep, certainly does sir.