VR6 on carbs

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by danbz123, Jun 18, 2008.

1. danbz123 New Member

Hi Guys,

I have currently fitted a VR6 AAA code engine and gearbox into my 1991 mk2 driver.
    I have used the normal way of MK3 subframe, corrado front crossmember, passat pedal box, 16v 22mm servo and cylinder and custom exhaust.

Now here is my problem, I am very keen to run this engine on carbs, for the following reasons

1, The car is a non injection vehicle, even though it would be quite easy to convert the car to run injection I want a minimalist engine bay.

2, I have a daily driver so bad running (out of tune carbs) and high fuel costs are not a problem.

3, I cant recall seeing any VR6 running carbs.

Is there anybody who can give me there opinions on what type of carb, what type of inlet manifold would work best.

Thanks

Dan

2. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Although I can't give you any help on this, it sounds very interesting! I'd love to see how this turns out :)

Good luck!

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i have never seen a VR on carbs, the problem with the VR head is the inlet ports 1,3,5 are one length 2,4,6 are a different length.

I have seen a couple on ITB's using different length trumpets, to even the port length out.

whether it makes any difference to the setup of the carbs, i dont know?

4. dan0964 Forum Member

This thread could get interesting

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

There was a red Vento in PVW last year, and of course Big Ron`s Mk1, both on ITBs...[8D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mk1. Forum Junkie

7. dave_dub86 Forum Member

can you imagine the noise a vr6 on carbs would make! would be worth putting on cd!!

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

why would you want to, it'll probably run like a bag of crap, produce less power and use more fuel that it would on fuel injection.

9. danbz123 New Member

set up right, with the correct fueling, ignition timing. It is a fact that the car will produce more power than a standard vr6.
    we will have to wait and see, if it doesn't work the itb's will be the way forward, but then i may as well go 24v, and go the whole hog.
    What i want is a mimimalist golf, with old school styling, and old school tuning, and feel that a vr6 on carbs would fit the bill.
    the issue of the inlet ports being different sizes, is a problem i hope i have overcome, only time will tell.
    will keep everyone posted