VR6 on megasquirt

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by veedubnutz, Sep 22, 2006.

1. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Perhaps not the best place to ask this, as im not sure many of you have used it..... but im considering putting my VR6 onto megasquirt-II with the spark control. Do you think it would be worth the work? Could i manage some HP/torque gains just by remapping the fuel/spark? And the biggie, can anyone foresee any particular problems with using it on the VR6? Im not sure what kind of crank/cam triggers the VR6 uses, but im assuming you could probably use them with the existing coilpack etc. Discuss!:)

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

What a lot of hassle for little gain. [:s] Standard ECU/Management should be perfectly capable given your cars standard tune mate. Even fully programmable piggy back unichips arent recommended for standard engines, just not enough gain.

Save the megasquirt for the 16vT.

3. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

But will it stay in a standard state of tune for long? I very much doubt it knowing me :lol:

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Depending on your skill its not really a hassle and could make your vr6 better at inhailing air as there is no MAF meter. You tend to use all your OEM components. The Megasquirt will then allow you to optimise your hardware. If you want to supercharge or turbo you will already have the controller in place and just have to build your maps to include loads beyond atmospheric pressure (99kpa). You can pick these up for 350 built or build it yourself as it is a DIY unit. Make you own loom or buy one and adapt it to your set-up. I am converting My 2.0 digifant Mk2 to this and in 2 months time I am going to build a 'squirted VR6 N/A then convert to turbo. I will evauate each stage of the build.
    Again its easy depending on your skill.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  5. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

I actually already have a megasquirt ECU that i built and a relay box, so it would just be the wiring. I would imagine you could probably use quite a bit of the existing wiring actually. Place the relay box in the stock ECU position, then run the DB35 cable through the top of the bulkhead into the car? Any more opinions on this?

6. NormanCoal Forum Member

I really dont see why you would want to other than knowing it would work as an experiment. The system that is used on the VR is a lot more capable than you think.

I can understand the benefits of MS on something like a valver where its almost impossible to control the ignition, and the fuelling is crude, but on a VR where the ECU is intelligent enough to measure inputs from several places, and adjust things accordingly, you are not going to see any benefits.
    Sure, if you put MS on and see an increase of 10 bhp in the headline figure, you have made a gain, but who's to say that 10bhp wasnt possible with the standard systems?

Modifying is all about gains for spent and time put in IMO

7. Toyotec

Well you already halfway there.
    The relay box could go anywhere it is really optional. Nice to see you built it yourself. Wiring should be easy for you beacuse after all you did assemble the PCB and it worked on the stim did it? Yes you can use some of the harness that goes to the coil packs, CLT, TP and crank trigger you will need to make a connection for a IAT. Make sure the connections between the MS harness and your car is moisterproof.

If you get any more problems send me a PM

8. Toyotec

I agree that the OEM ECU in this case has much greater capability and does a very reliable job in a OEM car used by a regular driver. But unfortunately there is no way of making adjustments for chaps with hardware modifications or engine swaps other than buying some expensive tools or taking your car to a tuner who has one. MS will, at least, allow the competent user adjustablity of his hardware. The the car may/may not be more powerful in terms of BHP@whatever rpm but it certainly can be more responsive (more torquey) if you know how to calibrate.
    A good friend of mine took off his digifant from his Mk2 8V, replaced and calibrated with a megasquirt-extra. It was not the fastest but it certainly was one of the smoothest Golfs I have driven in compared to my digifant Mk2. Plus Megasquirt is not limited to VW motors you can use it on anything.
    Just look on the Megasquirt forum.

Cost depends a lot on user skill. Why should I shell out money to get my car mapped, because I dont have the tools, when I could build and calibrate my own system?
    Just my take though we all one love in here.

9. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

As i say its only an idea at the moment......

10. bertelli_1 Forum Member

One thing you lot heven't mentioned is how much you learn, and how much fun it is building a working ECU for your car. True, you aren't gonna see any real BHP gains but it is also brilliant for fault diagnosis when using datalogging software. I would say do it - I used my existing wiring and an old ECU for my conversion and the loom was quite simple, have a look at my website if you are interested.

11. bens_cab Forum Junkie

yeahh

do it ive just fitted it to my mk1 20vt conversion and although i had teething trouble i now know alot more on how cars work ie the fueling and ignition side of things theres a guy on vortex called paulvr6 he has done said conversion using ms

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)